vii • fates worse than death

Everything. . . was not going well.

          The waiting started out boring, not much to expect while you sat lazily on one of the stone egg-shaped statues. They made for a surprisingly good seat, letting it do whatever as it waddled around aimlessly. Everyone was in the same state of boredom, but you didn't doubt the worry that was on everybody's minds.

          And almost as easy as turning on a switch everything went to shit.

          North had spotted the first nightmare, loudly announcing its presence before going to dispose of it. Everyone was on their toes, they just needed a reason to act up on it and this was the catalyst for that.

          The panic settled in while you rushed to one of the entrances, looking in horror when almost an entire stampede was waiting there. They saw you, and needless to say it was a tiring fight.

          The problem was that you weren't even their target, much more interested in stomping out the eggs as with each one you lost you saw hope drain from Bunny's face little by little. It pained you to see your friend in such a state, the memories of Sandy and the way hope drained from his face as well making you gulp down a nervous lump.

          "Tooth!" She caught your sickle in time while you held onto the vines, watching as she circled and rounded a group of the annoying fuckers. Doing enough rounds you yanked on the vine, tightening the bounds as they all exploded in one large dust cloud of black.

          You were far from over though, simultaneously trying to quickly herd the eggs into the tunnels while fighting off almost millions of the nightmares. Where one died another showed up in its place, just as angry and ferocious as the last one.

          Your back stood against the dark tunnels where the eggs scrambled underneath you, standing your ground as to not accidentally step on any while you used your sickle and vine to act as a whip once again. Each time you heard a crack you wanted tears to slip, the anger that culminated in you somehow showing itself in growing sadness. But you shook your head, finding an open clearing in the paths and letting a large flower burst through the dirt. It exploded three of the horses, and those who managed to dodge it neighed and backed off.

          Their golden eyes glared at you, before stomping out the other small flowers that started to grow alongside the first one and rushed towards you.

          You held up your hands in full anticipation of the attack, but what hit you out from behind practically knocked out both your balance and air.

          You still held your weapon up though, managing explode the others before whipping around in horror to see the horse that just emerged from the tunnel. The very same tunnel you were herding all the eggs in.

          Immediate regret kicked in and you released a shaky breath, starting to spin the vine like a lasso but stopping when the nightmare from the tunnel stops right in front of you, huffing as you inhaled the black smoke. You coughed, hand reaching out to strike it but when you touched it you froze.

          You didn't see anything yet saw everything at the same time, everything that has ever haunted you and this entire planet running through your head at the speed of light and disappearing just as quickly when you stepped back. You glared at it, yet the terror and fear stuck, running through your veins like second nature and you wailed.

          You didn't know why, it just happened.

          You sat there, crumbling, crying your heart out as every little regret and pain rushed over you like a building falling on your head. Much like the landslide and all the pain you felt then.