Episode 5 - Divided Attention

Start from the beginning

He said he would have to leave me to continue following leads alone, and I didn't want him to worry, so I said "You know I've got this." Even though I was a little worried myself.

Actually, I was a lot worried, about a lot of things. Even with the video down, I wasn't sure how it would affect my career, my family, and Jake. I was worried that I wouldn't do a good job without him, too. He was way smarter than me. I was a musician, not an investigator. He even had to remind me what our last clue was, I had gotten so far off-track with everything else going on.

But we ended our talk on amicable terms. I hoped he would be OK. I tried not to be confused about his departure and how I might miss him. That was information I kept to myself.

Next, I fulfilled my task of working on the "Jennifer" lead from the recording of Hannah and Dr. Barret. Jake said to pick someone I trust to ask if they knew anything about this mysterious Jennifer. I trusted several people in the group to tell me the truth, but I chose Richy. He told me about a girl who was found dead in the forest over ten years ago, and her killer was never found. At the end of our conversation, he wanted to know why I asked him, of all people. "I like you," I said simply. "But you already knew that, didn't you?"

Richy responded, "I like you, too, Li. A lot." I smiled. I felt like a weight was lifted off of my chest; for all of these years, I thought that my feelings hadn't been reciprocated.

Then he and I, along with Jessy, had a little chat together. I confessed to them that I'd been receiving threatening phone calls--something I hadn't mentioned to Richy when I'd seen him. Jessy brought up an interesting but disheartening theory--that because the calls had started after I joined the group, she believed it was someone from the group who was calling me. I thought about that; when the kidnapper had sent the video of Cleo to me, how had he known that I didn't tell the others? Or was he always planning on sending it to everyone regardless of whether I told them or not? I was afraid that was an indication that there might be a mole in our group, if not the kidnapper himself.

Richy said that we should ask everyone if they'd given out my phone number to anyone. I hoped he was right; I couldn't bear the thought of any of my friends doing such a terrible thing. 

My phone rang. Another blocked number. I declined the call; it started ringing again. I answered hesitantly, knowing for sure that Jake wouldn't know I was getting a call this time, so I had to keep a record of it. I hit record when I answered, but all I got was Trust Fall by Bebe Rexha for my troubles.

I hung up without saying a word. I needed to talk to someone, and Jake was not available. I bit my lip; Richy said that he was working when we finished our conversation; I didn't want to bother him or seem clingy after his confession, so I texted Jessy.

Li: I don't want to disturb you, but you said to let you know if anything else happened.

Jessy: You're not disturbing me! But why aren't you putting this in the Legends chat so Richy can see it, too?

Ugh. I didn't want to tell her about my conversation with Richy. Our admissions of feelings didn't change anything; he still had too much going on to even consider a relationship. Besides, I lived three hours away, and I had promised Dari that I would focus on my career.

Jessy: Li? Is there something you want to tell me about you and Richy?

Li: Why, did he say something?

Jessy: 🙄 It's pretty obvious that you like him. And I can tell that he likes you, too.

Li: 😳

Jessy: I know it must feel like bad timing with everything, but you both deserve to have happiness. You shouldn't feel guilty about that.

Li: Well, thank you, I appreciate it. However, nothing is going to happen between us.