Afraid

April 27, 1997

On the road, Andrew was riding the red truck as he looks at the back to see Jesse sleeping. Andrew smiles as he starts the radio that was playing the song, Pump Up the Jam by Technotronic. 

Andrew
♪ Pump up the jam, pump it up... ♪
♪ Pump it up, yo, pump it, buh-buh♪

Andrew sings waking up Jesse who looks at him.

Andrew
♪ Pump up the jam, pump it up... ♪
♪ Pump it up, yo, pump it ♪

Andrew sings while Jesse sits up and she watches Andrew.

Andrew
♪ Pump up the jam, pump it up ♪
♪ Pump it up, yo, pump it ♪
♪ Pump it up ♪
♪ I don't want ♪
♪ Pump up the jam ♪

Andrew sings while Jesse was laughing a little.

♪ A place to stay ♪
♪ Get your booty on the floor tonight ♪
♪ Make my day ♪
♪ I don't want ♪
♪ A place to stay ♪

Andrew stops singing and he just moves to the beat of the song while Jesse moves behind Andrew's seat. 

♪ Get your booty on the floor tonight ♪
♪ Make my day, make my day ♪

Jesse leans over to Andrew putting her arms around his neck. Andrew looks at her and he kisses Jesse's cheek.

♪ Make my, make my, make-make my day. ♪

Later they stop to eat something, Jesse was sitting inside of car wearing one of Andrew's jackets. "I know a guy. In Chicago." Andrew said to them making Jesse look at Andrew. "Very wealthy. Lee Miglin. He's a property developer. Maybe you've heard of him. We've worked on a couple of projects together." Andrew said while Jesse sees more lies coming from Andrew. "He's a close friend. He owes me. He'll get us more than enough money to make it to Mexico." Andrew said to them making Andrew look at David who was giving him a look. "You're worried about the border." Andrew said to him while Jesse lays down putting her foot on the truck's roof. "Well, I...I've been moving product across it for years." Andrew said to him while Jesse smiled. "There is another one." Jesse said to herself talking about Andrew lying. "What?" Andrew asks her making Jesse look at him. "What?" Jesse said to him making Andrew touch her leg with a smile. "It's not a problem. I know people. It'll be a long drive, but as long as we stay under the speed limit, change the plates...we'll be okay." Andrew said to them while rubbing Jesse's leg. "You should really start thinking about your new life. What you want to do with it." Andrew said to David making Jesse look at David. "My life?" David asks him making Andrew look at him. "I know you probably want to part ways once we get there. I respect that. But we make such a great team. And the truth is we have no one else." Andrew said to him while Jesse thinks for a minute. 

Why was Andrew leaving David alive?

Andrew moves over to Jesse and he lays down next to her. "Are you tired?" Andrew asks her making Jesse look at him. "I am not sure?" Jesse asks him as Andrew plays with her hair. "What were you thinking about?" Andrew asks her making Jesse look away from him. "I am thinking about a lot of things." Jesse said to him. "Are you thinking about the question I ask you?" Andrew asks her making Jesse look at him knowing what he was talking about. "Before you say anything." Andrew said to her taking Jesse's hand. "I know you didn't want that to happen because of what I did but I really do love you." Andrew said to her then he kisses Jesse's cheek. "Andrew, if it's okay with you. I want some time to think about it." Jesse said to him making Andrew nod. "I understand." Andrew said to her and he gives Jesse a quick kiss. 

Later at a park, Jesse was using the bathroom while David and Andrew were waiting outside. Jesse exits the bathroom and Andrew puts his arm around Jesse as the three walk back to the truck. "She recognized me." David said making Jesse and Andrew look at him. "Who?" Jesse asks him. "That woman." David said making Jesse look at a car where a woman was sitting in. "It's impossible." Andrew said to him as Jesse enters the truck. "I'm telling you." David said to them as Andrew and David enter the truck. "She can't have recognized you." Jesse said to David while she plays with her fingers. "The way she looked at me." David said to them making Jesse look at David knowing he can't handle this like her and Andrew. "There's been no news coverage." Jesse said to him. "Why would she look at me like that?" David asks them as Andrew starts the car. "Like what?" Jesse asks him making Andrew look at them. "Like she hated me." David said to her making Jesse look at the lady who drives away in her car. "Let's go after her." Jesse said to Andrew who looks at her. "What?" David asks her. "Let's run her off the road and ask her. Why did she look at you like that?" Jesse asks him making David look at her. "Jesse." David said to her making Andrew laugh a little. "Why did you look at my friend that way? He's done nothing wrong." Jesse said to herself acting like she was talking to the lady. "Stop." David said to her making Jesse look at him. "He's the nicest, kindest person I've ever met. What's your problem?" Jesse asks while rising her hands in the air. "Stop!" David yelled at her making Jesse jump a little. "Okay? You promised no one else gets hurt. You promised." David said to her. "You know I've ever promised that." Jesse said to him making David look at Andrew. "Whatever you say, David." Andrew said to him and he starts to dive away. 

Later that night, Jesse was sitting on Andrew's lap asleep. "I'm happy you decided to come with us." Andrew said to David while rubbing Jesse's back. "I'm...playing over...everything the police are gonna find out about me. And I realize...I've been doing this my whole life. Playing over and over the moment that people found out about me." David said to Andrew who looks at him and then back on the road. "Barron is a small town. Everyone will talk. "Did you hear? That boy is a suspect. "There was always something about him, that...boy. How are they gonna live there now? My parents. With all that talk, who's gonna buy from my dad's shop?" David asks Andrew who looks down at Jesse. "Was I really afraid...when I got in this car with you, that you were gonna kill me? Or was I afraid of the disgrace? The shame of it all. Is that what I'm running from?" David said to himself then he looks at Andrew. "Why did you push Jesse into this lifestyle?" David asks Andrew who looks at him. "I didn't do anything, she followed me." Andrew said to him and he looks at the road again. "She can do things others can't and she listens to me, she understands me." Andrew said to him making David look at Jesse who was asleep. 

Later that night, Andrew finds a Lounge bar and the three enter the bar to see a lady with a guitar on stage. The three walk over to a table, Andrew and David sit down but Jesse who was looking at the stage. "You should really eat something." Andrew said to Jesse who looks at him. "Can I?" Jesse asks him making Andrew look at her stage and back at Jesse. "Go ahead." Andrew said to her making Jesse walk over to the stage. Andrew looks at David to see that he was leaving the table. "Where are you going?" Andrew asks him making David look at him. "Just to the bathroom." David said to him and he walks to the bathroom as Andrew can hear the gentle acoustic guitar. 

Jesse

♪ Who's gonna tell you when ♪
♪ It's too late? ♪

Andrew hears Jesse's voice making him look at the stage.

Jesse
♪ Who's gonna tell you things ♪
♪ Aren't so great? ♪
♪ You can't go on thinking ♪
♪ Nothing's wrong ♪
♪ But bye ♪
♪ Who's gonna drive you home? ♪

Jesse sings as her eyes go to Andrew who was watching her.

Jesse

♪ Who's gonna pick you up ♪
♪ When you fall? ♪
♪ Who's gonna hang it up ♪
♪ When you call? ♪
♪ You can't go on ♪
♪ Thinking nothing's wrong ♪
♪ Oh ♪
♪ Who's gonna drive you home ♪
♪ Tonight? ♪

Jesse sings as Andrew looks at his hands and he starts to tear up a little.

Jesse
♪ Who's gonna hold you down ♪
♪ When you shake? ♪

Jesse sings as she sees Andrew crying a little.

Jesse
♪ Who's gonna come around ♪
♪ When you break? ♪
♪ You can't go on thinking ♪
♪ Nothing's wrong ♪

Jesse sings as Andrew looks at Jesse who gives him a smile.

Jesse
♪ Oh, oh ♪
♪ Who's gonna drive you home ♪
♪ Tonight? ♪
♪ Oh ♪

Jesse sings as David walks over to Andrew's table.

Jesse
♪ You know you can't go on ♪
♪ Thinking ♪
♪ Nothing's wrong ♪
♪ Oh, oh ♪
♪ Who's gonna drive you home ♪
♪ Tonight? ♪

The song ends and everyone in the bar claps for Jesse who smiles a little missing the feeling of being on stage. Jesse walks off the stage and she walks over to the two men. Andrew stands up as Jesse walks up to the table and Andrew pulls her in for a hug. Jesse puts her arms around Andrew who kisses her cheek.