She saw guilt materialize on Damien's face and she knew her charm, was working. She had made the right decision by coming here, and she had wanted him to feel the guilt, see how much she felt abandoned by him. And then just like he should, he would them work to earn her forgiveness.

Damien stared at her from his seat and then he sighed, slowly turning off his computer and getting up from the chair. He approached her, placing one hand on her shoulder.

He had a neutral look on his face though, as his expression was not to remorseful and she didn't know what to make of it.

"Hey, don't say that... don't talk like that. You're right..." He rubbed his forehead, "I've been so distracted lately, and about yesterday, I put my phone on silent because I was working. Then I had to switch it off when you called, because I didn't have any battery."

Katherine folded her arms unsatisfied and faced the other way, still clearly hurt or at least feigning to be. She pulled a face when he placed a finger below chin, making her look up at him.

"I'm sorry for being so distant these past few weeks, and making you feel this way. It won't happen again."

When she still didn't react, he rubbed her cheeks between his fingers, pulling her to him in a hug which she reluctantly melted into, and holding onto her, rocking back and forth he continued to mutter some apologies, until finally she beamed, unable to hold herself back.

"You'll have to make it up to me, you know right?"

Damien nodded instantly, "Definitely. Dinner tonight? Anywhere you want to go."

"Yeah dinner. That sounds nice."

"Settled then." He pulled her forward again, tucking her hair behind her ears and leaning in, he trapped her lips in a soft kiss which she quickly responded to.

She leaned in for another hug, liking the feel of Damien's soft lips on her neck, and just like that knowing she was satisfied today, the wheels in her head started spinning as she began to cook up a plan.

.......

Madison was startled by the sound of someone knocking at her door.

She swallowed, staring at the door and not making any move to open it at all.

She was still quite shaken up from Mason's visit, and the last thing she needed right now was another episode or any more surprises.

She breathed out in relief when the knocking stopped.

She just wanted to be left alone.

She was tired of the bad luck and the constant confrontations, and now she just wanted to rest.

The knock resounded again, after a while stopping Madison who was just about to lay down in her bed.

"Madison? Madison? Are you in?"

Immediately she froze, already recognizing that voice.

Gina? It was Gina.

Quickly she rushed to the door, unlocking it and blabbering out apologies as she saw her friend standing outside the door, she lied at the same time, "Oh goodness Gina, I'm so freaking sorry, I just heard the knock. Have you been standing here for too long?"

Gina smiled, shaking her head, "No, not really. I was worried you weren't home that's why."

"Oh, sorry about that. Come on in." Madison quickly ushered her in, shutting the door at the same time.

She remembered how her last meeting with her friend had gone, how she had left abruptly and now she suddenly felt so guilty.

"Gina..." She began after her friend walked in, "I never apologized for the last time we saw, and I had to leave in a haste. I realize how weird I must've acted back at the bakery, and that day I was not really in my right frame of mind. I was just really confused and trying to make sense of some things you know, but... But I don't want you to bother now, cause I'm fine already. I'm so sorry if I made you feel weird in anyway."

"It's okay, Maddie. I understand." Gina smiled, making Madison feel instantly relieved.

Leading her to her bed, which was the only place to sit as Madison didn't own really any furniture, she said again, "It's so nice to see you. I didn't think you'd ever have any time to come see me, seeing as you are so busy with work at the bakery."

Gina laughed, "Nah, I only worked for a few hours today and besides, I had an excuse to come see you." Smiling, she unzipped her purse, taking out a white envelope and handing it to Madison, "Here."

Madison took it carefully, wondering at the wide grin on her friend's face, "What is this?" She asked but Gina was suddenly quiet, just beaming widely at her.

Slipping her finger between the folds Madison tore the envelope, bringing out a paper and opening it she read through and... "Oh my God!" She yelled, her hand coming up to her mouth, jaw dropping slightly open, "Certificate of employment? No, someone tell me I'm dreaming. I.. I... This is from the bakery right and..."

Gina nodded intermittently, laughing at the expression on Madison's face, "Yes you read right. You got the job! You've been employed at the bakery!" She squealed as she finished her sentence.

"B-but how?!" Madison began to wonder, "They asked me to come back a few days later."

Gina nodded, "Yeah. But apparently, everyone else who came for the job was rejected. I offered to bring the letter to you myself when I saw it on the board."

Madison laughed in disbelief, glancing down at the letter once more. She had gotten accepted and was required to resume next week. She almost couldn't believe it. She had a job now. At a huge bakery with a very good pay, and it all looked like some kind of miracle.

Things had been going so shitty for her these past few weeks, that she had half-expected to scale through this as well, but here she was, suddenly employed and with a stable job.

For once things seemed to be going right. Fuck it! She had a job! And a good one at that, and she began to laugh uncontrollably, feeling tears sting the back of her eyes. She didn't bother to wipe them away, the moment they began to stream down her face.

She really couldn't remember the last time she received positive news. It was so heartwarming that it felt unreal.

"Madison, what's wrong?" Gina asked, shocked to see her crying obviously and as she scooted closer to Madison, placing one arm over her shoulder, she said again, "Why are you crying? Is something wrong?"

Madison laughed through her tears, shaking her head as she waved her hand, "I can't even explain how I'm feeling Gina. Everything is fine though, it's just that... I'm just s-so happy, you know? These liquid streaming down my face are tears of joy." She laughed again.

"Awwwww, I understand... Come here." Gina cooed slightly, patting Madison's back as she helped her wipe her tears away, "Cheer up, okay?"

Madison nodded continuously, finally managing to wipe her tears away.

"I'm so excited for us to work together!" Gina squealed, "It'd be nice, don't you think?"

Madison agreed, "Yes, yes! I was just thinking about this too. I'm glad I know you. At least I won't feel so much like a stranger, on my first day there."

"Yes, exactly! Tell you what, after you've worked for some days at the bakery we're going to go celebrate. Drinks, dancing, bowling, karaoke, whatever you want, we are sure as hell going to do it."

Madison found herself giggling, feeling warm and happy all over.

It'd been long since she felt this way, and giggling she answered, "Sure! That'd be nice. I can't remember the last time I went out just to chill and loosen up a little bit, and I could use one now. So yes, we should do that."

"It's a date, then!" Gina winked, and Madison found herself giving her first genuine laugh in months. Even if she wasn't sure how long it would last, she didn't care.

She was happy and she decided she would live in the moment!

.......

Thanks for reading. 💕