21: The Switch

After sharing one last kiss with the general, the lady walked her way to her room and entered her bathroom. She then zoned out moments after she got into her tub and felt her lips. Ningguang remembered the feeling with every detail, but she just really wished that she spent the night with Captain Beidou instead. She sunk her head in between her knees, allowing the water to enter her ears. She closed her eyes, allowing herself to empty her mind.

It was some sort of guilt that the lady felt. She would never forgive herself for betraying her captain; the feelings she always had for her. Should she even keep this night a secret from her if she ever returns home? The lady didn't like the idea of being untrue to herself and especially to others.

I must be out of my mind... Ningguang thought.

The next day, all the agents except Keqing, gathered in the meeting room as told, before breakfast. The lady was the last one to enter the room and rubbed the side of her arm as she walked in the room nervously. She glanced over to the general who was flattening out the map in the center of the long table. Ningguang felt a bit uneasy because of last night, but to her surprise, she noticed that the general seemed a bit happier than before. It was because of last night, wasn't it? The lady assumed.

She found her seat and the general walked over to stand at the end of the table, meeting Ningguang's gaze on the other end. General Beidou's eyes sparked for a moment when they locked eyes, before looking at the other agents. Ningguang wondered if the other agents noticed. She glanced over to Ganyu and caught her looking back at her with a funny look on her face. Flustered, the agent quickly shifted her gaze elsewhere. The lady paid no mind to it as much.

"Good morning, agents," the general greeted as she clasped her hands behind her back. "I have called you to gather here so we can talk about the plan for what is about to happen in a few hours." Her expression altered to a serious one. "Now that Xu Liushi and Juza are gone, it looks like some changes to the plan needs to be made. However, I do not have much context as to what it is." The general looked straight ahead of her, meeting the lady's eyes. "Would you please explain the entirety of the plan to me, agent Ningguang?"

Gosh, she is already picking on me in the early morning?

The lady nodded her head and explained everything like she did three days ago when they were first creating the plan. It was already a few days ago that she had been stuck in this world, but to the lady, she felt like she's been there for longer.

"... I see," General Beidou simply said after listening to the lady. "So agent Drake and agent Furong are partners, Juza and Xiu Liushi were supposed to be partners, and you're with agent Keqing, correct?"

"Yes, general," the lady replied.

"But General Beidou, agent Ningguang doesn't have a partner anymore," Furong interfered. "Agent Keqing is still resting from her injuries," she justified.

Agent Ganyu also spoke, "yes, general. Although the armor and research team are qualified to take the place of agent Keqing, we didn't train for the scheme. We cannot afford to screw up now."

The general's eyes ran through every agent at the table. Now that Xu Liushi and Juza were gone, the strike unit was indeed small. Changes definitely needed to be made, but there was no time to waste. The lady knew that the general was the only one apart from the strike unit who was watching how the first scheme with her and Keqing went. There was no other choice.

"I have made a decision," the general spoke after seconds of silence.

All the agents once again focused on the general who stood straight.