3: The Look

Please... Ningguang begged in her thoughts.

A sudden knock on the door came. 

Beidou turned her head and stood as her attention was driven to it. Ningguang let out a small sigh of relief and crawled forward to the end of the bed frame to see what was happening. Beidou grabbed her eyepatch and robe to put it on before opening the door.

"General," a young man's voice said. It was familiar, though. "Lord Zhongli would like a word with you."

Ningguang shifted to get a clearer view of the person at the door. She wasn't as surprised as she thought she would be when she saw Kazuha standing at the door. He too, was wearing a suit, but nothing similar to what Beidou was wearing.

"At this dead hour?"

"Yes, general. He said it is important."

Ningguang could see Beidou grabbing her suit from the back. "Alright, tell him to give me a moment and I'll be on my way," Beidou said. Kazuha bowed his head and left, followed by the woman closing her door.

The general looked at herself in the mirror and tied her hair up in a high ponytail. Ningguang had to admit, it was her first time seeing Beidou with a different hairstyle for once, and she found it hot. Ah, no! Ningguang! Snap out of it! The tianquan shook her head aggressively after staring too long at the general.

Beidou put her suit back on and then left her bedroom. Once Ningguang heard the door shut and the sound of footsteps getting further away, she got out under the bed. She patted her clothes and fixed her appearance. "That was close..." Ningguang turned her head in the direction of the wardrobe and walked toward it. "I can finally return home!"

Ningguang opened the wardrobe and moved the hung clothes aside. She let out a breath. "What a story to tell to Beidou once I have returned."

The lady walked inside the wardrobe, but she didn't feel a barrier. She touched the end of the wardrobe from inside, yet there was nothing. "What...? What's happening?" Ningguang tried walking through, but she hit her head just by touching the frame, knocking the woman back. The tianquan touched her head as it hurt and groaned. "Why isn't it working?"

She fixed herself and examined the wardrobe. There isn't a floating blue light like last time, Ningguang thought. She ran her hand on the frame from inside the wardrobe, feeling nothing but the wood. Her eyes widened as she gasped. "Am I stuck here?!"

The lady backed away from the wardrobe with horrid eyes. "I can't go back home...?" She fell to the ground, feeling frozen. "No, no, there has to be something!" Ningguang shook her head and thought deeply of what could be the reason why it wasn't working.

Okay, so in the beginning, I was starting my day roughly at 9 am and then emptied boxes and stored my belongings in the wardrobe which took many hours to do... then I remember dismissing my secretaries around the evening for the rest of the weekend. Right after, I went to my wardrobe to change clothes for the evening, and that's when I saw that blue light... Ningguang thought deeply. Her eyes scattered everywhere, as she was trying to think... right then, a sudden gasp came from her mouth.

That's right...! The blue light! There was a blue light in the wardrobe, but there isn't one right now, so maybe that could be why I can't go back home!

She placed her hand on her forehead, as the whole thing was giving her a headache. How do I get it to return... She then remembered that it was the evening when she walked through the barrier. Perhaps, it only works when the sun is setting...? Ningguang let out a huge sigh, realizing that she'll need to come back to the general's bedroom just to get to the closet. She was almost caught, so what more of the time she'll have to come back.