8: The Secret

"Hey Ning," Beidou said as she was moving her pawn forward. She rested her chin on her closed fingers with her arm on the table. "Do you think I should get a tattoo like yours?"

"So suddenly?" Ningguang asked as she thought of her next move.

Beidou fixed her posture and relaxed her back against her chair. "Hm... Yeah, I've been thinking of getting a tattoo like yours upon seeing how beautiful it looks."

The tianquan's heart skipped a beat. Ningguang moved her bishop and tried to dodge the captain's compliment. "Well, this tattoo shall only look beautiful on me." She hissed but ended up smiling afterward.

Beidou let out a laugh which brought music to Ningguang's ears.

"Come on~" Beidou whined and rested an arm behind her seat. "Should I get one?" She waited for the lady's response, although it was her turn.

"Would you like my honest opinion?" The tianquan looked at her.

"Yes."

"To be honest, I don't think you should get a tattoo," Ningguang shyly looked away from the woman in front of her slowly.

Beidou shot up from her seat. "Huh? Why not?"

"I'm afraid that'll only bring more trouble to you in the public's eyes." The lady grabbed her fan and opened it. Behind it, she hid her red cheeks. "Besides... you wouldn't want to ruin your beautiful skin with ink now, do you?"

"What? Well I mean–." Beidou paused. She widened her eyes as she realized a certain word the tianquan said. "Hold on, so you think my skin is beautiful?" She smirked at the lady.

Ningguang couldn't help but let out a wide smile behind her fan. "'Beautiful'? I didn't say such a thing." She flipped her hair with her other hand.

Beidou chuckled and went on, "Well then! If my skin is beautiful as it is right now, I shall not get a tattoo!" She gave a wide grin and proudly moved her knight, causing the board to move a little.

The lady placed her hand on her forehead and smiled at how happy the captain was. She shook her head with a smile still plastered on her face as she moved her knight. "Oh Beidou..."

However the Beidou in front of Ningguang right now was nowhere near happy.

"Answer me, Ningguang," Beidou stared down into her soul. "Did you get that scar when you were out on the field?" She took a step closer toward the lady, making Ningguang feel uneasy and took a small step back.

"I..." What should I say?

Sudden footsteps from the entrance were heard. "General Beidou," Kazuha bowed. The general turned to look at the gentleman. "Lord Zhongli is at the door."

"Who sent him up here?" Beidou's tone was a bit irked. She smoldered her eyes and furrowed her brows as if what she heard was displeasing.

"He came up here all by himself." Kazuha turned his torso, facing the door. "Shall I tell him to leave?"

Beidou held the bridge of her nose and closed her eyes as she was worn out. "No need." She let out a sigh and whispered under her breath, "My, I told him I was uninterested." The general looked at Kazuha. "Please tell him to wait for me at the door."

Kazuha only bowed his head before leaving the room.

The general turned to look at the lady. "We shall continue this conversation later. Excuse me." She headed toward the door and left the room.