chapter fourteen

Max had been planning this trip for a whole week.
She was packing a picnic basket, with all Billy's favourite foods inside, and his sippy cup along with a few juice boxes and a carton of milk so they could always refill Billy's sippy.

She packed some colouring supplies as well, to keep her brother busy during the car ride to the field Steve had picked out.
Billy didn't know any of this yet, he was still sound asleep in his room, but the girl knew he'd love it once she told him they would go out for a picnic.

On their way school a few days ago he had mentioned that he had never gone to a picnic, as Neil thought it was a waste of time.
So now, Max wanted him to have that experience with her and Steve.

Speaking of the devil, there was a knock on the door and the girl went to open up for the brunette.
He greeted her with a hug, taking off his shoes while Max went back to packing the basket until Steve joined her in the kitchen.

„Where's the little baby?" he smiled, and Max couldn't help but chuckle.
„He's still sleeping. He has had a hard night, full of nightmares and he had an accident at around 2am. I'm honestly glad he's sleeping peacefully right now" she explained, and Steve sighed.

„Damn, the poor thing can't have a single good night, can he? He told me the same thing like every day in school when I asked..." the brunette mentioned, frustrated that he wasn't able to help Billy more.

Max nodded, knowing how he felt. Ever since Billy had come back from the hospital, he was having horrible nightmares of the Upside Down and the Mind Flayer, waking up to wet sheets and crying most of the time. The girl even had put her mattress into his room because when Billy woke up, he was too scared to go to her room and wake her.
Even if he wasn't little most times, her brother was horribly struggling since he was home again.

„Yes, but hopefully today will help him relax" she said, putting the basket on the table and closing it.

„Do you think he will ever recover from what happened..?" Steve asked with a frown, and Max sighed, turning back around to face him.
„Do you think any of us will?" she asked back, and Steve slowly shook his head.

„I really hope we will find peace once this is over, but honestly I think after these years it's going to be hard to come back to normal..." he admitted, and the girl nodded, once again knowing exactly what he meant.

To distract themselves from dark topics, they pulled out the local paper and went to do a crossword puzzle together. About an hour since Steve came over, Max's head shot up as she heard Billy's door open and close, seconds later the blond stood in the room, sleepily rubbing his eyes.

„Hey Steve" he mumbled, coming over to them and flopping down onto the couch, leaning on the other boys shoulder as he yawned.
„Good morning sleepyhead, how's my little cupcake today?" Steve cooed, pulling Billy onto his lap with a smile.
The blond let him, though he huffed quietly.

„I'm not little, Steven" he pouted, but rested his head on the brunettes chest and sighed in content.
„I'm okay though, just still sleepy."

Steve cooed at him, kissing the blondes forehead and caressing his cheek.
„Well that's nice, we have a surprise for you" he smiled and Billy looked up at him in confusion.

„A surprise? What do you mean?" he yawned, cuddling up to his caregiver.
„Well, once you're ready, we'll take you out...for a picnic!" Max grinned, and Billy looked at her excitedly.

„Really?" he giggled, and the other two smiled at each other, realising he was already slipping from the treatment.
„Yes really, cupcake. So, go take a shower and get dressed and then we can head out" Steve chuckled, tickling the boys side a little.