Notorious

I stand with my arms crossed behind my back, shifting my weight from one foot to another. I roll my lips in my mouth. Both of us not saying anything. The silence that prevailed after his mother exited the room was borne from him being lost in his thoughts whereas I was looking at him.

What catches me off guard is when he suddenly looks at me, his eyes appearing alert. My poker face is gone when I see him throwing the comforter on one side, next his legs find the floor and he is near me in two swift motions. I don’t move, I mean how can I when he is looking at me like I am his prey?

He doesn’t say anything instead he pulls me in for a hug, looping his arm around my neck and crushing my body into his. He engulfs me like I am his medicine, his antidote to all the venom life feeds us. I hug him back with equal force but loosen my grip when I feel the immense heat from his body. 

He’s sick.

“You’re burning,” my voice muffled.

“I-I-just want you in my arms..like this, forever” he breathed into my shoulder. His arms around my shoulder felt like an extension of my own body.

I smiled, even though I know he can’t see me.

“Baby, you need to rest, You’re burning up and I just want you to take a rest,” I say. He unwraps his arms from around me, “ alright, on one condition, if you lie down with me.”

I nod, “yes. Just tell me, where’s the thermometer.”

“It’s in the drawer,” he points me towards the drawer by the side of the bed.

I grab his hand and pull him with me. I let him crawl into the bed.

I hand him the thermometer. “Put this in your mouth.”

He complies. I place my cold hand on his forehead. I find it endearing the way he closes his eyes, relaxing against my skin. A few minutes later, the thermometer beeps and I take it from his mouth, reading it quickly.

“One oh three,” I say, placing it on the bedside table. “You’re not going anywhere today.”

“But it’s Wednesday,” he starts to say. “We have work-”

“Okay. Yeah, no way in hell are you going to work,” I remark instantly.

I lay on top of him, the mattress and his body squished under me. “Have you taken a paracetamol?”

“Only five minutes ago,” he responds. “Come lay with me,” he holds my hand softly and plays with my fingers.

“I would really like that, just to be here with you and take care of you when you're sick because I was too stupid to listen to you,” I smile as I recall the events that led to him getting sick. That amazing, perfect and breathless moment that we had under the stars while it rained, made me blush as I looked at him. The smile on his face let me know that he was back there in the moment with me.

“Don’t look at me like that,” I say shyly.

“Like what?” he asks cockily. He’s being too coy for someone who is sick.

“Like you know what,” I answer him while maintaining our eye contact that was full of mischief.

He laughs lightly.

“Is everything alright?” A girl pushes open the door a crack. She was about to barge in but she stopped when she saw me. 

I looked at Elliot, expecting him to introduce me. I would like an introduction, I didn’t want to meet any more of his members forcefully.

“Afternoon, Rosalie,” he smiles at her. I look at the familiarity in the way they both smile at each other.

“This is my sister, Rosalie,” Elliot states. “And this is my girlfriend, Charlotte.” The moment he mentions my name, the smile on his sister's face becomes huge.