chapter 4

There were so many things on poor Nysa's mind that she genuinely forgot how scary being the new girl in school was

There were so many things on poor Nysa's mind that she genuinely forgot how scary being the new girl in school was. Normally, everyone was the new kid since the only time she ever moved was from middle to high school (even which that was terrifying - she could have sworn that stupid, homophobic senior was the one who tripped her up and sent her books tumbling down the stairs, she nearly going with them too). This time, the problem surprisingly was, Nani.

Okay, that was perhaps a little too harsh, calling her dear, 'ailing' grandmother a problem but...that was putting it lightly.

The last few days, Nysa actually couldn't fathom what was going on in that woman's brain. It was like she had come down with a recent wave of lunacy as the full moon came. That was literally the only explanation that Nysa could come up with. Nani slept at the oddest of times, she kept sneaking out every now and then (sometimes making Nysa drive her to the most remote places out on the reservation), and she spent a lot of time in the garden to harvest all the odd herbs and spices that were ready. Nysa believed that her Nani was living a secret life that she hadn't told her about, it was getting seriously frustrating.

Despite all that, she woke up early for her first day at Forks High School. The hot shower was everything that she needed and more, it calmed her nerves and warmed her up from the icy morning. She called her mom as soon as she stepped out. Nysa had been calling her once a day at that point, feeling a little homesick being half way across the country. Especially in a day like this, her mom always knew the right thing to say.

Nysa wasn't used to the weather. She donned her usual leather jacket and put on some light make-up, eyeliner had been her best friend since freshman year. Nani was still fast asleep by the time Nysa had gulped down the remnants of her morning coffee. She laced up her boots and left the house, grabbing Nani's keys to the jeep as she went.

Nysa was surprised to see how busy the parking lot was, a long line of cars were waiting to get into the school. When she finally got out, parking in front of the first building, one of the many clustered buildings of various sizes, with a small sign reading 'front office.'

"They told me to take a street-car named Desire, transfer to one called Cemeteries, and ride six blocks and get off at Elysian Fields," Nysa sighed, turning off the engine. The mind-easing sounds of Paramore shutting off, leaving nothing but the excited chatter of students.

Draping her backpack over her shoulder and grabbing her current read from the passenger seat, Nysa was thankful that there wasn't even as much as a drizzle. Nysa stepped out of the toasty jeep and walked down a little stone path lined with dark hedges.

The red-haired woman who was sitting at the front desk looked up. "Can I help you?"

"Hi, yeah. I'm Nysa Wadworth, just transferred from Ponte Vedra High School," Nysa informed her, drumming her fingers nervously against the high counter.

"Of course," she said, eyes widening in recognition. Nysa wondered if her family was remembered. She dug through a precariously stacked pile of documents on her desk till she found the ones she was looking for. "I have your schedule right here, and a map of the school."