Epilogue - What Lies Ahead

♤ ♤ ♤

4 years later
Mitaka City, Tokyo

It had been almost 5 years since Leon's encounter with Shimada Masuyo and her maniacal underground fighting ring. He managed to make ties with his beloved crush Maki Masuyo, and soon enough their story went on from there.

In the years that had passed, the couple had finally managed to solve the mess their lives were put in. Using her mother's remaining inheritance, Maki was able to rent them out an apartment while Leon found a new school for them to permanently stay at. Once that was completed, the two graduated and made plans to figure out what terms they needed to start college. But first the two needed jobs.. Leon would continue to do wood work while Maki worked as a waitress at a nearby restaurant.

Now they were both eager to see what would happen next in their lives...

♤ ♤ ♤

"Now Leon, I know we've been saving a pretty hefty amount of money already, but I have been dying to show you this surprise!"

Maki would be standing in an open field that Leon drove out to own his very own Yamaha motorcycle. Now a young man, he stood proudly and smiled at her while she waited eagerly, like a little child. "Well, what is this.. surprise you're so stoked about?" He asked, very curious indeed. Maki kept smiling, and took his hand into hers. "Come on, I'll show you!"

The two would begin walking into the woods down a small dirt trail, that was covered with occasional fallen leaves, shaded with yellows, browns, and slight oranges. It was early September, and Leon could definitely feel the cool breeze hitting them as they walked. It reminded him a little of when they were on the roof of Jindai.. but he realized there was nothing to be worried about.

"Alright, listen to me, dear.. this wasn't entirely my idea, but I'll say that I helped a lot on it. I really hope this isn't too much, but knowing you I believe you'll love it anyhow. Now close your eyes!"

Leon laughed at Maki as they came to a stop on some more flat ground. Smiling he shut his eyes, and allowed Maki to place a hand on his back and guide him forward so he wasn't wandering around blindly. Whatever she was prepping him for, it made him all giggly; mainly from how much joy was bubbling inside her. They eventually stopped moving, and Leon let out a huff. "Are we sure this isn't a prank of some sorts?" He asked, which made Maki giggle out loud. "No, silly! Now just stay where you are.." She replied, backing up. "Still.. still... okay. Open your eyes, babe."

Leon slowly opened his eyes back up, and his mouth dropped. In front of him was a very beautiful, spacious, and obviously expensive traditional Japanese house.. a Minka.

"My goodness, Maki... it's.. it's amazing!" Leon said, his eyes shining with awe. Seeing that her plan worked successfully, Maki smiled and went into Leon's arms, kissing him deeply and passionately. Pulling away she blushed and looked up at him. "Thank you, Leon.. I reached out to Koda and she was able to assist with the buying and all of that. I'm glad you're happy."

"I would have been happy with anything, Maki, even if it were a small condo out in the middle of nowhere. But deep down in my heart, I surely know just why you had all of this planned out. You wanted a place for our little bundle of joy to grow up in..."

Leon would reach down and softly rub Maki's round stomach, as she smiled and nuzzled up against him. It was true.. Maki Masuyo was pregnant with their own child. The two had been together for a while, and eventually Leon decided to make his move and propose the start of a family. Maki accepted and the outcome was incredible.

"Maybe you're right.. or I planned this so we could live normal lives together.. forever, without having to worry about anything that could harm our lives any longer.." Maki replied, embracing Leon where they stood. It made Leon's heart and mind feel at peace, seeing how much Maki had changed over the years. Time allowed her to transform from a rebellious teenager into a loving young woman who cared deeply for her significant other.

The two would converse and walk into their new home, as the sun began to set on the forest where the place was built. They had reached the highest point in their continuing lives, and that was a point where they could settle in.. build new friendships... strengthen their bond as a couple, and eventually raise their own child together as a true family.

And Leon knew it all could have gone differently, if his mother didn't make the move to Kyoto..

Kathleen was still in the hospital, the chance of her waking up still vague. Despite that Leon still came to Kyoto to visit her, leaving a gift or two behind. Maki would do the same, as she really didn't have any other parents to look up to after Shimada ultimately died.

On the other hand Gima was a rookie developer for a video game company, and had is own place in Kyoto all to himself. The three friends all would still occasionally meet up, going out for food and drinks and hitting the town. It was like old times, but without the bearing cloud of dread looming over them.

Leon Russell could finally relax, and live his own life with everything else that he wished for.

But still.. luck wasn't always that courteous.

Something else could always happen...

♤ ♤ ♤

The End