A Conspiracy

Estevan decided to use the cook book. It had twenty three varieties of pasta he has never heard of. The café soon had a surprise menu every Saturday when he would cook one of the dishes he gained from the book gifted by the emperor.

Estevan was content with his life. Him, his children and the few colleagues who are like family. He doesn't like surprises and even more so, he doesn't want changes. He want to make sure his children live a happy, comfortable life. When he saw that an investigation has been launched on the emperor by the elected council, he simply turned the page.

----------

Hector turned the page he was reading. It was a pleasant day outside. Reading here, breathing in fresh air – he liked it. The garden is his favorite place in the entire palace. He decided to stay away from the office while investigation was underway. Surprisingly, he liked it. The break felt good. He had a clear conscience- and nothing scared him.

"Sir, Officer Valence is here. Shall I bring him in?" asked Desmond.

"Sure"

Officer Valence is fresh out of academy, fierce and honest- Hector knew. But the young man had fabricated proof with him and he won't be able to disprove. He knew his enemies are careful this time. They want to decrease his influence among public- to humiliate him.

"I have come to interrogate you, your highness," said Valence and he looked a little bit unsure even as he said that.

"I wouldn't stand in the way of your duty. Please take a seat and I will answer all your questions," said Hector. The officer sat down. The questions were to the point and Hector realized that Officer Valence believes the proof he was thrust with. Once Officer Valence left, he received a phone call.

"Who is it?" he asked Desmond.

"Giovanni Leventis," said Desmond. Giovanni Leventis is the youngest businessman to make it big in all of Arkila, Hector's empire. However, they have always been on opposite sides. The boy was vengeful and would go to any end to ensure that he gets the upper hand. Hector is reminded of how aggressive he had been in his twenties when he meets Giovanni occasionally.

"Hector here"

"You will answer for your sins. If I can't find proof for what you did- I sure can make them," he said.

"How bold of you to announce the fabrication to the emperor himself," said Hector amused.

"What satisfaction do I get if I don't tell you myself," said Giovanni.

"Noted. Anything else I can help you with?" asked Hector.

"Oh, you wouldn't have the time for it," said Giovanni.

The call ended.

"I wonder why this kid is set on attacking me, rather petulantly if you ask me," said Hector.

"No previous history. He hails from a very ordinary background. But we will look into it," said Desmond.

Hector stood up.

"Do you think the situation will escalate?" he asked.

"Yes. It may. They want to undermine you and still have you rule," said Desmond.

"They think I am drunk on power. Its rather unfortunate that even some of my family thinks so," said Hector. Hector's parents were lost to him in a snowstorm. He was raised by his grandparents who were rather strict people. His uncles and aunts have always maintained a distance and so have the cousins. He has never done anything to close that distance either because it never felt right to him.