Secrets: Chapter 19

Pacing back and forth on the carpeted floor of her room, Madeline peeked through her window for the hundredth time. Uneasiness seeping into her bones, she continued her pacing. Keeping a close eye on her phone as she did so.

Liam had called her fifteen minutes ago and there was still no sign of him. No text, call or even a mention of where he was when he hung up.

Calling her in the middle of the night was one thing but actually coming over here was a very questionable action on her part. What was she thinking, giving Liam the go ahead on coming over here?

But she couldn't help it, his voice was so....sad. She had heard his voice as angry, frustrated, annoyed, arrogant, and even lustful. Sad? No it wasn't just sad. It was so full of helplessness and hurt, she couldn't deny his request to see her.

It had made her chest tighten up so much she didn't know how she managed to talk so calmly over the phone. What had happened to him? What could she do to help?

She had no idea. Since she was old enough to remember, she thought anything could be solved with a little studying and hard work. School was life for her and it still is. Now that Liam has barged his way in, she was stumped.

No matter how long she studied, she would never figure out how to handle something like Liam. He would never fall into the categories of her knowledge, yet again Liam had her baffled on what to do.

Her mind overrun with nothing but her worries, she heard the sound of a car running over the gravel of her driveway. Lunging to her window she caught the sight of Liam exiting his car.

Rushing through her door as silently as she could, she tip toed furiously down the stairs to the front door. Liam's figure was obscuring the light from the moon in the mirror of her front door as she swung it open. The whoosh of the door being opened filled the air and revealed a solemn Liam.

Her eyes roamed over his body, finding no visible injuries the worry that had burdened her whole body oozed off with considerable speed. She struggled to stand from the impact. When had she started to feel so much for him?

Liams voice made her look up at him, "Were you so excited to see me that you had to come running, Bunny?"

Her gaze penetrating his, she could clearly see that his taunting tone did not match his eyes. The repressed hurt only made the sad attempt of a smile dull and opaque.

Madeline felt her stomach drop as apprehension mixed with extreme worry sunk their teeth in. Whatever had happened to him was beyond her imagination.

What could she do? Her eyes narrowing ever so faintly, she bit down on her lip in her ongoing contemplation. Eventually losing herself in her own world until Liam called her name in a questioning tone, "Bunny?"

Mentally slapping herself back to earth, she suddenly felt the realization of how easily they could be caught talking out here. She decided to think of how to help Liam after getting him and herself somewhere they could both talk freely.

Quickly grasping Liam's wrist she put a finger up to her lips, signaling him to be quiet. Liam's confused expression dawned on her earlier realization as he gave her a nod.

Letting the door hinges automatically close the door, she towed Liam up the stairs and through the hall to her bedroom.

Now safely in her room Madeline let go of his wrist, whirling her frame around and standing face to face with Liam. Crossing her arms over her chest she slipped on a mask of resolution.

It was no time to worry or fret over what had happened to him. It was time to woman up and take a plunge into the unknown! Whether she liked it or not.