I nodded and thanked him before heading over to where Dudley was standing and stretching out.

"Are we paired again?" He asked as he saw me approach.

"Yup! You're gonna have to take it easy on me this time and explain the moves step by step. I still feel like last time was luck or something."

Dudley shook his head,

"Luck or not, it doesn't matter. I can teach you enough that it'll be all talent by tryouts."

I blinked and stared at him. He stared back. I nodded my head slowly while saying,

"...Yeah, cool, I admire your gumption, but tryouts are literally in four days."

Now it was Dudley's turn to blink at me.

"...I know Jackson. You better be prepared to work hard."

And work hard I did.

For the rest of the week, Dudley became my drill sergeant. He gave me exercises and techniques to work on at home, critiqued and corrected me during gym class, and ordered me to work on my movements during any break I had. I took it very seriously, and it led to a few awkward scenarios when people would walk in on me during some of the more embarrassing drills. Dudley had mentioned that in my weight class, a large portion of the techniques would rely on flexibility. I was incredibly grateful to be naturally flexible after all of the strange stretches Dudley had ordered.  me to do.

Friday seemed to come in no time at all. And Dudley was right. Or at least partially right. I felt way more confident about my abilities, even though I knew there was still much to improve on. I really hoped that I would be able to make the team. Dudley and his whole gang seemed confident that I would, and even Mr. Vilgar believed in me.

After school was over on Friday, instead of heading back to the orphanage, I went to the gymnasium, which is where tryouts were being held. Dudley was already there and beckoned me over.

"No need to look so nervous Jackson, you've been working hard and I don't doubt you'll be able to make the team."

I smiled shakily at his confidence in me, but the smile quickly fell as I looked around the gym.

"I mean,  I'm gonna do my best, but look at all of the older students who are here..."

Dudley just chuckled and gave me a good-natured punch in the shoulder. Then he walked away to where his weight class was. He might have been rather large for our grade, but with the older students here too, there were plenty of people for him to wrestle with. That also explained why he was so good at the sport, if all of his competition came from older, more experienced students.

I had no idea where to go for my weight class. I was already too small for my grade, and there weren't any first years here. I hoped that if I actually made the team there would actually be people for me to compete against. Mr. Vilgar must have seen my lost expression, because he walked over.

"Mr. Jackson, as you've probably realized, there's not anybody in your weight class trying out today. You have two options. Number one, you can pair up with someone who doesn't have a partner, and just wrestle out of your weight class, or option number two, show me some of the moves I know you've been practicing with Dursley."

I contemplated for a moment, looking around the room again to see my potential opponents. It would probably be faster and less nerve-wracking to just show Mr. Vilgar some of the things I had been practicing, on the other hand, however, I had fought Dudley and won. Surely I could take on another opponent? I can't help but wonder how I would do now that I know some proper techniques...

"I think I'd like to try an opponent, Mr. Vilgar."

He nodded and I could tell from the shimmer in his eyes that this was the answer I was hoping for.

"Atta boy," He clapped me on the shoulder, and headed off to a group of upper year students.

Soon enough, everyone gathered in the gym for tryouts and sorted themselves into pairs. My wrestling partner was a slim third year whose name I wasn't able to catch. He was tall and thin, and even though he didn't seem muscular at first, I could now see his lean muscles. I suddenly wasn't so sure about my decision to go against an opponent. As I tried to calm my nerves, I met Dudley's eyes from across the room. He smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up. I knew he had spent a lot of time putting together drills for me to practice, and I didn't want to let him down.

Mr. Vilgar called the first group up.  And then the second group. The matches had a time limit of 1 minute to ensure we would have enough time for everyone. Dudley was in group three and obliterated his opponent in half the allotted time.  As he walked off after his match, he clapped me on the back with one large, sweaty hand. Even without any word exchanged I could tell this was his way of wishing me luck.

I had no way of knowing for sure which group I was in, but I had a feeling I was one of the last ones. Mr. Vilgar seemed to be starting with the heavier weight classes. Impatient and anxious, I decided to run and get some water from the water fountain. After I finished drinking I decided to splash some water on my face, in hopes of being able to snap out of my nervousness. And it worked! As soon as the water hit my face, I felt more relaxed and confident. I went back into the gym just in time to hear Mr. Vilgar call my name. Huh. I guess my theory about what order he was going in was wrong. I darted over to the mat, still a bit anxious, but also felt powerful. An interesting combo. I shook hands with my opponent, and then the match started.

Due to the time limit, there was no time to circle and wait for an opening. My opponent lunged for me right away, but speed is one of my strengths so I managed to dodge and use his own forward momentum to knock him to the ground. I wasted no time dropping on top of him hoping to get him pinned, but he recovered faster than I expected and got the upper hand, pinning me to the ground in the same move I had intended to use for him. I panicked for a moment, but heard Dudley's voice in my head walking me through this exact scenario. I took a deep breath before shifting my weight onto my side and hooking my leg over my opponent, and despite my physical disadvantage, I managed to get the upper hand right as the timer went off. I jumped up, ecstatic that I had won. I knew that timing was on my side though, because if there had been even just 5 seconds left, the third year might have been able to shake me. But that didn't matter because I had won. I smiled at Mr. Vilgar, and he smiled back, nodding.

"Welcome to the team Mr. Jackson."

Hello y'all! I am now a college student lol. I also now have ADHD medication, which means I can actually focus on things for the first time in my life, which means MORE CONSISTENT UPDATESSSSS!!!! (hopefully at least)

anyways,,, this is a pretty long chapter, and even then I feel like it might have been a tad rushed. Also disclaimer I know nothing about wrestling. ALSO also I actually forgot my note book that had all of my details (like Percy and Dudleys class schedules and teach names) to this fic at home, so therefore I apologize if there are any inconsistencies in this chapter.

Hope you guys enjoyed!