chapter fifty

____________________________________

Lexa came back from her meeting earlier than expected. Clarke wasn't in the main room when she got to her chambers, but the paint on her canvas was still fresh, so she couldn't be far.

Even after ten minutes of waiting though, no one had come from the bathroom or anywhere else. Not even a sound was to be heard. "Clarke?" Lexa called out, but there was no response. So she checked the bathroom- empty. The dressing room- empty.

Wherever she checked, it was empty, and she asked the guards at the door whether Clarke had gone for a walk. Her cane was gone, Lexa noticed.

"But the guide was here," one of them said in slight confusion. "Just maybe twenty minutes ago."

"What guide?"

"Heda, you sent a guide to let the lady be shown around. Here, he showed us his permission to enter the room and leave with the lady to show her special rooms," the guard spoke and pulled out a paper. It wore exactly Lexa's signature.

"That was not signed by me," she said and panically looked down the hallway. "Where did they go?"

"They used the elevator," the guard explained, now alert. "Should we search them?"

"One of you goes and commands the others here to search the whole tower now. If the guards downstairs noticed them leaving, the city is to be locked right at this second. I want every warrior available to look under every fucking rug in every house if that's what it takes."

"Yes, Heda," they said and one hurried away.

Lexa strode down the hallway into the elevator, keeping her nervosity at bay as best as it was possible. If anything happened to Clarke now, she would never forgive herself. Her tower was supposed to be fucking safe. Everywhere there were guards. Clarke had been fine on her own for two weeks, why did anyone have to crush this now?

It had to be someone that knew her well enough to perfectly imitate her signature. Lexa didn't even consider Anya or Indra, but Titus was in her mind just the next second.

So her next stop were the dungeons deep, deep down in the tower. The guards there confirmed her worries;

Titus had left the cell. He had had a visitor a few days ago and they had thought it might have been her, the Heda, because the paper he'd shown them for his release was signed again by her signature.

"You don't fucking let people out because of a lumpy paper!" Lexa yelled, her anxiety audible. This hadn't supposed to happen. This was the point where everything should've come together- Clarke meeting her family again, living herself in in Polis, maybe getting a job, maybe going on a few more dates with Lexa. Lexa had never expected their- or Clarke's- path to be perfectly smooth after TonDC, but they were supposed to have left the main struggles behind, no?

Clarke had gone through enough, already had enough to struggle with. If she was kidnapped now and possibly be returned to Jaha-

Lexa couldn't think of it. As she rushed through the cells, finding Titus' open and left alone, her body began to shake. She needed to find Clarke before anything could happen.

She needed to find Clarke before they would bring her back, and do all these messed-up punishments to her. Enslave her again. Kill her. Torture her.

Would Titus bring her back? Sell her back to Jaha because of the 'lack of satisfaction'?

But what could she do? She had no idea where Clarke was. Had Titus arranged a meeting with someone those few days back, when he had been visited, and brought Clarke to God knew what sick building in the middle of nowhere? Had he taken over the job of getting rid of Clarke himself? There were a hundred possibilies, and a billion places the girl could be that moment.