Chapter 28

Elena Sergio.

Are you sure you want to go to school today?" Karen asked as I walked into the kitchen to drop off my breakfast plate. "I mean, you know, with the whole KJ thing I was thinking maybe you wouldn't. Maybe you'll want to wait it out."

Yes, I'd told Karen about what had happened. Aside from Matthew, Karen was my second best friend and whenever she was around I told her everything. Everything. Speaking of Matthew, the kiss we shared two nights ago surfaced in my head, lingering for a minute before deciding to remain there.

Not once in my entire life did I expect Mathew and I to share a kiss. Did I expect to be locking lips with my best friend of eleven years? Okay, maybe once I'd imagined it when I was in freshman year and developed this huge crush on him after he came back from the summer holiday in Africa with his parents, carrying a full natural tan, and obvious puberty changes to his face and physique. But it was what it was, just a crush, I never acted on it nor hinted in any way that I had one. And so Matthew telling me that he liked me "a lot" had thrown me off-guard.

But then there was something, a deep bow at the pit of my belly, resting there. My buried emotions, stirring up again, rekindling in a gentle flurry of motions. I paid no heed to them though. Yes, Matthew and I had shared a kiss. Yes, I tasted my best friend, but we weren't certain where we were now. I wasn't certain and after the whole KJ charade, all I wanted to do was lay low. For now.

What I feared at the moment was that things between Matthew and I would be awkward now. Yes we talked yesterday, and out of nowhere I had given him a quick kiss on his lips—trust me, I was still trying to manifest that courage once more because it seems like it's a one-time thing—but I feared even if Matthew being Matthew tried to play it cool and all, I'd make things incredibly awkward.

I sighed. My emotions were a mess right now, all over the place. I was over KJ already, that was basically how I was made, I couldn't stand hypocrites, and neither can Matthew. Another thing we have in common. So, I was over and done with KJ, but now I had someone else in mind, my own best friend, and much as I didn't want to admit it, knew my feelings for Matthew were returning and God knew I wanted to kiss him again, feel his lips on mine once more, remember what he tasted like.

"Earth to Ellie." Two fingers snapped in front of me, instantly pulling me back into reality and away from my thoughts. "Have you ever been listening to me the whole time? I've been talking for almost ten minutes now, don't tell me you zoned out the entire time."

"I'm sorry," I breathed, turning away from the sink and leaning against it. "I just have a lot on my mind right now.",

Matthew was a lot. A lot was Matthew. And I hadn't told Karen about it yet, mostly because I wasn't certain about what Matthew and I had at the moment. What we shared. Were we still just best friends? I didn't know. Were we more than that now? I wasn't sure either. One thing I was sure of though was that Mathew was the best human that wasn't a direct relation I'd ever come across and things were going to remain that way between us. Our friendship, no matter the odds, will remain nevertheless.

"What are you thinking about? KJ? What will things be like at school?" Karen asked, giving me a concerned look.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't certain yet and hence I didn't think it was time to tell Karen about Matthew and me, so I told a lie instead. "Yeah, it's about KJ. Guess I'm still shell-shocked, so much for believing and hoping for the best in people."

Suddenly, Karen stepped forward and put her arms around me, pulling me into a hug, one which I didn't reciprocate because I was too surprised too.

"It's fine, Ellie," she muttered into my ear, rubbing her hand up and down my back. "Everything will be fine. If it's your choice to go to school today then I think that's just the right decision. Do whatever you think is best."