Chapter 6

Elena Sergio.

For a moment, I stared at my sister with my mind blank. And then I thought, you don't get to do that.

Only after Karen had asked me, "I don't get to do what?" Did I realize I'd voiced my thoughts.

My gaze remained on her as she turned away from me to drop her phone on the dresser behind her.

"You don't get to play the big sister, little sister card," I said, upset with what she'd say. "I'm eighteen now, Karen. I'm not a kid anymore, so don't treat me like one."

She turned to face me, a puzzled look on her face. "I didn't– I didn't mean it that way."

"Then what did you mean?" I threw my hands up in the air. "I don't know what you meant. I came to you because I needed your help, not so that I can be treated as if I'm some dumb fourteen-year-old."

Moments passed and Karen remained silent. Then finally she spoke, "Sorry, if you took it that way. Look all I'm saying is, are you sure you have a thing for this guy?"

"Well, I wouldn't be here asking about how to get him attracted to me if I didn't know, would I?" I raised my eyebrows for added emphasis.

She leaned back against her dresser and crossed her arms. "Okay then, what I meant by are you ready to go all the way was, are you ready to change everything about you, Ellie? Are you willing to step out of your comfort zone, do things you never thought you'd be alive to see yourself doing, go places you're normally not interested in, just for some boy you just met?"

"You make it sound so bad," I muttered, staring down at my socked feet. "Do I have to do much though? I mean, am I not okay with the way I am?"

The sudden snort from Karen made me raise my head at her.

"What was that for?" I yelled, feeling hurt.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," She held her hand to her mouth, apparently trying and failing miserably to hold in a laugh. "No offense."

"Some taken," I glared at her.

"Okay, first off, Ellie, if I'm being a hundred percent frank, then you're not okay. You're far from okay just the way you are," she said.

"But what's wrong with me?" I murmured.

"Actually nothing, Ellie." Karen came over and sat down beside me. "Absolutely nothing. You're beautiful just the way you are, but if you want to get this KJ guy to see you as the girlfriend type, then you do have to change some things."

"Like what?" I looked at her.

"Which brings us to our first issue." At once, she shot up from the bed and stood before me, her hands clasped in front of her. "Your dressing."

"My dressing?" I quipped. "What is wrong with the way I dress?"

"Hoodies, jeans, and sneakers all day every day isn't exactly gonna cut it, Elena," Karen stated.

"But my skin—"

"Is beautiful! And I know it's sensitive, but hey, what is sunscreen for?"

I sighed, "I don't know, Karen."

"Anabel only said the shit she said because she's a jealous one, obviously. I mean being tan is great, but porcelain is cute."

At her words, I felt a surge of confidence. Looking up at her with a smile, I said, "Thanks."

"Pfft!" She waved a hand casually. "Don't mention it."

"So," she continued, "you gotta get a better dress sense. More gowns, more color, less or no hoodies if you can help it, and heels once in a while. Luckily, you have me for all that."