Epilogue - All For You

Ren

The sunrise is glowing pink through my bathroom window, and I feel fizzy and bubbly like a freshly opened soda as I sing the lyrics to a pop song currently stuck in my head and let the hot water run over my shoulders in the shower. I got up early this morning to spend a little extra time getting ready—super excited to start the day. It's Thursday morning and the last day of school.

After my hair is dry and makeup is satisfactorily done, I smile at my reflection in the mirror and then tie my hair in a ponytail, the way I know Gio loves. Walking back into my room, I quickly slide into a jean skirt I borrowed from Hannah, pull Gio's old Raiders t-shirt over my head, and gallop down the stairs for breakfast. 

The sound of his car idling in the driveway reminds me it's time to go, and I race around to find my other Converse shoe, MIA, as usual. Once I've find it and my backpack, I kiss my dad goodbye and smile as I open the door and see Gio standing in front of his car, waiting for me. 

He looks so good. Today, he's wearing his green cargo pants, black sweatshirt, and the hat I remembered from the first day we met. Walking toward him, I drink him in, never breaking eye contact, a very flirtatious smile cresting his lips.

His eyes glitter,  "Happy five-month anniversary, baby." 

My heart swells as I reach for his hand and squeeze it, communicating my feelings back to him in the gesture. "Happy anniversary, babe." 

The last three months have flown by, but it also feels like it's been forever since we've been together, both as lovers and as best friends. 

Giovanni has worked so hard in school all spring, and I've found he's so smart when he applies himself—especially in math. It actually makes me jealous of how easily it comes to him; he helps me all the time even though he hasn't taken stupid Algebra 2 yet. He just gets it. If I weren't a year ahead, he'd definitely be tutoring me. On his third-quarter report card, he had earned all B's and one A in Auto Shop, and hopefully, when his fourth-quarter report cards come out, he'll have yet another A in Geometry.

He puts the car into gear, and we drive off toward school. "We still on to meet Hannah and Zack tomorrow night at Mary's Pizza?" not taking his eyes off the road.

"Yep, Hannah's super excited. She's so cute and nervous about it. It's her first dinner date with Zack," I grin. It's silly. I'm almost as excited about it as she is.

Yes, Zack and Hannah are official now, and I couldn't be more excited for them. Both Hannah and Zack got lead roles in the musical: him as The Artful Dodger, and she as Nancy. 

Did I get a part, you ask? 

I am happy to report I did get a small role as Nancy's friend, Bet. With only two small lines to memorize,  it was a perfect first step into the acting side of things. Ms. Jones let me keep my role as assistant stage manager as well since I only appeared on stage three times.

You should have seen how hard I tried to convince Gio to work backstage with me, but in the end, he never did. And now, looking back, it was really for the best. I got to have time with just Hannah and Kristin and funny stories to tell him when we were together, and it allowed him to work on his car, hang out with Charlie, and play video games with his friends.

He, of course, came to watch me on opening night with my dad, Sydney, and Charlie. I'll never forget how nervous I was that evening, but I got through it, and every night after that got a little easier. For the very first time, I got to take a bow on stage with the audience doing a standing ovation—the exhilarated smile that spread across my face was completely off the charts. After I had changed and come out to meet them, Gio was waiting to hug me with a gorgeous bouquet of roses at the end of a show. I could have died right then.