Chapter 25 - It's Your Birthday?

Gio

The cool, cloudy winter afternoon light is dimming my room already. The time we have to be alone together is slipping by too quickly. She is in the midst of putting her shirt back on after our little Thursday afternoon makeout session when I come up behind her on the bed and wrap my arms around her waist. I have some big news to share with her.

"Hey, I wanted to ask you something," I say low, kissing her neck. "It's my 16th birthday tomorrow, and—"

"YOUR BIRTHDAY!" she nearly leaps out of the bed. She spins around and tackles me till I'm lying flat on my back, and she's straddling me. I'm startled by her surprise ambush but grinning.

"What! Your birthday is tomorrow?!"She punches me on the shoulder. " Why would you wait so long to tell me?" She hits me a few more times to make it seem like she's mad, but I kinda really like it. It's kinda fucking hot. Hit me again, Ren, my brain smirks.

She must sense me enjoying myself because she then socks me one much harder.

"Ow. Okay, okay. I get it. I'm sorry." I put my hands up. "I don't usually make a big deal about my birthday. I've never liked being the center of attention. "

It's true.

"I like this position, though," I grin.

She grins back as we weave our fingers together, playing a push-pull battle of arm strength.

"Anyway, since it's on a Friday, a bunch of us are going to party in the cemetery up on the hill... and I was hoping you could come."

Her eyes go wide. "Of course, I'll come. I would be mad if I missed it!" she grits, exasperated, and pushes my hands down till they're all the way back in a submissive position on the mattress.

She smiles deviously. "I like this position."

Damn, that's so sexy! "Oh yeah? You think you got me?"

"Yeah. Try and escape."

I quickly flick my wrists to free my hands, and she tries but fails to get them back. Then I grab her and flip her over till I'm on top of her, holding her wrists down on the mattress in the exact same pose. We laugh as she tries to wrestle me. She's wirey and pretty strong, but I know I'd win if I really tried. I don't, though—I let her win, and she climbs back on top of me again, smiling victoriously.

Her hair hangs in a dark auburn curtain around her face, and her ocean eyes are dancing.

She's so fucking beautiful.

I lock eyes with her and swallow hard—my Adam's apple seems to have grown twice as big and fucking sharp. My heartbeat is already up from wrestling with her, but now it's thumping so hard it's all I can hear.

There's another reason I haven't mentioned my birthday yet. I have something important I want to ask, something I want to do on my birthday with her, but I just haven't gotten up the nerve to say it. But I have to now. I'm out of time.

I clear my throat. "Um, Ren?"

"Yeah?"

She's looking at me all innocent and shit. Fuck. Okay. How do I ask her?

"Um, so tomorrow night, uhhhh." Shit, my heart is pounding so hard. "Um, I'm also hoping, maybe you can... sleep over here with me... all night."

I hold her eyes with all the intensity I'm feeling and unconsciously bite my lip.

She nods happily. "Yes, I was thinking that, too. I definitely shouldn't drive home if we are going to drink."

Fuck. She didn't get it. She never gets it when I am being subtle about stuff. She makes me have to spell it out.