Chapter 32

Responsibilities

Sans' POV

I didn't know that I would have had to come here.

My mother's tomb.

It's...been a few years since I came here. Lots of stuff happened, such as my father's death, me having to do anything I can to give Papyrus a normal life.

I think I know why I came here: I just want to be the one that is taken care of, for once.

"...hi mom" I said as I sat down right on the bench next to the flower. I wonder if I'm actually the only one that knows about this place. And to be honest, I really hope I'm the only one that knows about it. I just realised that this may be my safe space, and I don't want anybody else to find it.

I sighed as I leaned on the back of the bench and closed my eyes.

"mom, are you there? ...heh, who am i asking? of course you're here. you never stopped watching me at all, haven't you?" I spoke.

But as an answer, I received only the soft, slightly cold breeze coming from an adjacent room.

"...heh, you really are here" I added.

Silence then filled the room for a good moment, until I decided to talk. I really couldn't believe that I was about to...vent, how people call it? I'm known around as "sans the comedian" or "comic sans", something like that.

Comedians need to vent too.

"to be honest mom, at first i felt resentment towards you: even if dad was always sweet with me and papyrus, before...his incident...he was always busy trying to search for a way to bring you back. i felt like he had no time for us"

I stopped for a moment, trying to give the invisible woman listening to me time to absorb everything i was saying.

"but then, i think i understood what dad must have felt. i understood it when he disappeared: i too wanted to bring him back, in any way i could. but how could i? i was merely a kid without any knowledge about science, and i quickly gave up hope...

...until i grew up"

I looked beside me, and noticed a slightly transparent feminine figure sitting right next to me.

"...heh, you really are here. if you are here that means that you are focusing on this screen at the moment, am i right?"

I knew about everything. The void, the screens, the pain my parents must have felt...when I became old enough to hold tools in my hands, I quickly scanned around the now repaired Core, and searched for traces of something my dad must have left.

And I found the time machine.

In any case, I could see the woman nodding. Actually, I could even see a sad smile on her face.

I pitied her.

"anyway...the time machine didn't function in that moment, and the only thing i could do now was to simply keep it away from strangers' looks. i put it in the secret lab behind our house in snowdin. but i understood something at least: i can't use the time machine because i am a monster.

i know what you are about to say, that i'm technically half-human and half-monster and that i inherited many things from you, but my soul is the one of a monster, hence...i don't have determination, and that made me...i gave up trying to go back a long time ago. i can't...save and load files, unlike frisk, who is able to do it."