S ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ

"The doors are closing up... It's too late, but I understand the rules now. You three should leave."

Surprised, the inseparable duo looked toward him.

"Mr Song, you shouldn't..." Hwan stopped midway through his sentence, unwilling to see him die.

"The doors won't shut if one of us stays behind, right? You guys have quite a few more years to live than I do, so you should be the ones to leave."

"Joohee, Hwan, give Sung a hand."

"O, Okay!" She snapped to reality, but the moment she did, she flopped onto the floor. "Huh? What's wrong with me?" her legs are trembling all over the place and her eyes were getting teary. "My legs... won't move."

"Are you low on mana? Seems like you used up too much when you were healing Sung."

"I'm ashamed to admit this, but I've also been struggling to stay standing..." Hwan looks towards his legs, barely keeping up. "Looks like restoring an arm and a leg is the most I could do."

Even during this conversation, the guards keep treading toward them. Time was truly running out, and if they were any closer, they would be all killed.

The black-haired boy returned his eyes to the concrete. "Mr Song,, please take Joohee and Chang-min and leave this place."

"Jinwoo! What the hell are you saying? I'll be staying!" Hwan insisted, but Jinwoo had his will, too. Members of the remaining group started fighting.

"Leave! I don't want to see you die because of me!"

"I already said I'll be the one to stay behind!"

"Then who's going to help Joohee?!"

"There's no time!"

"Jinwoo... let me stay behind instead!" Joohee cried.

"I promised to treat you to a meal, remember?" He rummaged through his pockets and dug out an essence stone, handing it over to her. "Use this to buy yourself a meal. If I make it out of here, I'll come to get the change."

"How can you joke around at a time like-" With a swift chop, Song rendered her unconscious and carried her on his shoulders, saying "I'm sorry, but I really don't think we have any more time to spare." Song looked at Hwan to see if there's anything that changed within his eyes, but he sighs when he notices no difference.

"Please take care of her," Hwan uttered and upon agreeing, he walked out of the room, leaving the duo there.

"...why?"

Boom
          Boom

"What is it?"

"Why did you stay here?"

"...Remember the promise I made when you got lost in that dungeon?"

"..."

BOOM
            BOOM

"'No matter where you go, I'll find you. No matter what you do, I'll be by your side.' Cringy, yes, but a promise is a promise." He gently smiled at him.

"Hwan Chang-min! Just go!! ...please. I can't bear watching you die."

"Jinwoo. I don't want to die either." Hwan grabbed his hand, staring into his grey pupils. "I still have some energy. Do you think we can make it?."

"...You can't ...It's too far."

"You never know." He scooped up Jinwoo in his arms. "Excuse me."

He positioned himself in a running stance.
Even if I can't make it, I'll throw him out of here.
He placed all his remaining mana on his legs.
I'm sorry, Jinwoo.
I'll have to break this promise, even though I was the one who made it.
He grits his teeth.

Ironic, huh?

A burst of energy went forth as he bolted to the exit.

I hope you won't be too mad.

The two flames that lit up the altar left, and the gates were rapidly closing. Hwan did his best to weave through attacks, but that slowed him down.

Please!!! Make it... in time!!

A beam of light came from behind, and Hwan darted to the right, to be only flung back on the alter by a lance, hitting him and Jinwoo in the rib cage. He couldn't have made it even if he dashed the other way. There was a statue, wielding a sword.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry Jinwoo..." Chang-min uttered, as he stumbled to get up. His eyes were dancing with stars, his breathing irregular and his limbs feel like falling off at any moment. He's pretty sure his ribcage bones are broken, but he had no time to administrate the pain. But, the only signal his brains were sending to his limbs is 'keep him alive', hands gripping tight on Jinwoo.

"Hyung. It's okay. You can let me down."

"But-!"

"No more. You've done way more than I can repay you. Thank you, Hyung."

BOOM
          BOOM

"Haha, if I had known this was going to happen, I would have signed up for some more insurance..." Jinwoo bitterly laughed. He took note of a sword nearby and grabbed it. "There's no way out now... I'm going to at least take one of you down!"

"Jinwoo-"

Before another word, Jinwoo was viciously stabbed in his right lung with a lance. Large amounts of blood gushed through, and Hwan's heart skipped a beat. Another reason could be that a sword struck him right through the abdomen and slashed to the side, leaving his upper body and lower body barely connected. He fell by the side of the altar, his only goal in mind was still Jinwoo. The blood that was seen on the floor could make one's stomach churn.

The lance lifted Jinwoo with such velocity that it created a way from his right lung to his right shoulder, his arm inches away from falling off. He landed starfish position on the altar, and blood was splattered all over. Truly a horrid sight.

(can I... skip this part. This hurts my soul to narrate.)

Gurgling sounds could be heard as Jinwoo's lungs filled with blood. His body desperately tried to keep himself alive, but it was failing at a rapid rate. Hwan slowly climbed on the altar, grabbing Jinwoo's hand. He could feel his guts spilling out. They watched a long sword rise up, and aimed right at them. Both of them braced themselves for the swing, but it never came.

'What..?'

The world froze before them as two tabs appeared in front of their eyes. One for Jinwoo, one for Changmin.

┎┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┒
⚠️ NOTICE

[YOU HAVE MET ALL OF THE
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE
THE SECRET QUEST:

"COURAGE OF THE WEAK"]

┖┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┚

┎┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┒
⚠️ NOTICE

[YOU HAVE MET ALL OF THE
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE
THE SECRET QUEST:

"ALTRUISTIC BEGINNINGS"]

┖┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┚