𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟾

Sung Jinwoo felt extreme killing intent in the path where Kang Tae-shik was, and lead the members of the left road to the scene, where I was battling.

He quickly ran to my side. "Hwan!" 

"Kang Tae-shik! What are you doing!" Song Chiyul yelled out, watching the fierce battle.

"The other annoying insects have come as well, I see." He stopped in his tracks to acknowledge their presence, which leaves me some breathing time. I was in a ragged state after being slashed in multiple areas. Even after applying haste,  I could barely react to his movements. This caused one of the two people who I was trying to protect to lose their life. The doll I gave them had already popped.

Jinwoo held me by the shoulders, supporting me. "Haha, I guess I should have distributed more points onto agility. I can't believe I lost to this third-rate emo. Cough cough!" I spat out blood which greatly worried the male beside me.

"Stop speaking and please heal yourself first... Do you have your Status Recovery left? How much mana do you have?"

"Okay, no, and a little bit left. About 30?"

"I see. Joohee, please heal those three as I deal with him."

"Oh? You, deal with me? That's quite funny. Now that a second healer is here, I guess I'll have to change the plan. I'm going to kill you all. Just like them." his shadow enveloped the three corpses behind him.

"Why did you do that? Why did you hurt Hyung?"

"Dunno. Could have been monsters. One day a gate opened and monsters overran the hunters. It's like a natural catastrophe." His lips bend upwards. "I thought of a good story just now. It used to be a massacre story with the goblins, but I guess I should change it up a little. 'The criminals broke free and tried to escape. After killing all of you, they tried to attack me, who was busy fighting the boss. But it was too much for them to kill the B-rank hunter, Kang Tae-shik, and therefore I was the only one who survived the raid'
How about it? The people outside would believe this story, right?"

Every time this guy talks he spits out a monologue. I thought, slightly pissed at him babbling away like that.

"You piece of shit..." Jinwoo stepped forward, ready to fight, but Song Chiyul held onto his shoulders. "No, he's not someone you can beat. I will do it."

He bends down and picks up a sword. Understanding his thought process, I provide him with several physical buffs. "Thank you, Hwan. It's been a while since I raised a sword against a human."

"Haha, what's a mage like you doing?" 

"Physical strength buffs on a mage is pretty useless, but... For now, I'm a swordsman." 

A battle full of sparks broke out, littered with the assassin's dialogue throughout. Joohee was still providing healing to Kim Sang-Shik, and I focused wholly on the swordsman, providing healing whenever I can. 

"Tch, the healers a pain. I'll eliminate you as fast as I can."

"As if you could." Jinwoo deflected the strike towards me, and Chiyul followed up with a back strike, which the assassin blocked. 

"Looks like you're not just a regular old man."

"I may not look like it, but I have an S-rank student. Even if my body can't keep up, my skills will."

"Unfortunately, there are always limits to one's given strength. Naive of you to think that a mage could follow an assassin's speed." He rebounded off the room multiple times, slashing and cutting down the swordsman, who couldn't react fast enough. 

"Shit... my mana..." I wobbled, experiencing mana depletion. Jinwoo held onto me, gently placing me by the wall. 

"Rest up. Everything will be done when you wake up."

"Be... careful..."

"Of course. Leave it to me, Hyung." His smile was the last thing I saw before I fainted from exhaustion.

.
.
.

When I woke up, I saw the roof of my own bedroom and heard the shower head on. I registered that Jinwoo was the one in the shower, so I groggily got out of bed and started cooking. Hearing the ruckus in the kitchen, he stepped out of the bathroom, had a towel wrapped around his waist, and greeted me.

"So the sleeping beauty is finally awake. Hope you don't mind me using your shower." He dried his damp hair with another towel and walked up to me. "How do you feel?" 

"Uh- I'm fine now. Can't you wear something before coming out? You're making the floor wet." I quickly whipped my head down, trying my hardest to control my sanity before his abs. 

"Why, you don't appreciate my glorious, hard-earned abs?" he chuckled at my behavior.

I DO!! THAT'S WHY IM PANICKING RIGHT NOW!!

"You narcissist. Just- go get dressed." I pushed him away, still refusing to look at him.  

"Haha, alright. I'll be back."

I nod and prepare the dishes for dinner.

"So what exactly happened when I was unconscious?" I asked, hoping for answers to what entirely happened.

"Ah, I should explain. After I defeated Kang Tae-shik, I went and cleared the dungeon. The boss was just a hobgoblin, so it was fairly easy. After I left, Mr. Song Chiyul and Joohee had explained everything to the guild employee. She called one of her superiors, Woo Jinchul, since she realized what kind of situation this was."

"Oh, the person in the monitoring division that we met in the hospital!"

"Yes. He said that the investigation division would handle the case instead of them, and will hand us their official apologies after the case has been resolved..." He picked up his chopsticks and began eating. "Ah, and he asked me some questions, such as who truly killed Kang Tae-shik. Mr.Song Chiyul was nice enough to cover for me, so I didn't have to void my contract with Jinho."

"Since he asked for skilled but low-ranked hunters, right? Even if you had to confess, you still have me! I could do everything." I patted my chest a few times, implying I'm shoulder his responsibility as well.

"What if mana depletion happens again? I know you're strong, but it's better if the two of us go. I can't let you go alone."

"Hmm, fine." I stuff myself with food, pouting a little.

"Don't worry too much. We're able to go together anyways."

"Yeah! I'll do my best to support you."

"Thanks, Hyung." Jinwoo gave a small smile. "Hmm. You know, Woo Jinchul gave me a warning about Huang Dongsuk's younger brother, Huang Dongsu."

"?"

"He said that they may seek revenge on us, since, in the extermination of their team, we were the only survivors."

"Oh, the S-rank Huang Dongsu? He had an elder brother??"

"That's right. 'Since he's an S-rank, the law can't really bind him either. It'd be in your interest to watch out for him, because you may be hunted by someone who even monsters fear. if possible, leaving the country with your loved ones isn't a bad idea,' is what he said before leaving."

"That's funny. Running doesn't sound like anything you'd do."

"You're right, so I need to train harder to prepare for our confrontation."

"Expected no less from our hard-working Jinwoo-ah. Of course, I'd join you."

"What do you think about doubling our daily mission?"

"What?! Doubling... is a bit much, right? Not that I won't do it or anything, but..."

"Haha, I'm joking around. Ah, right." he ruffled around in his pocket.

"...A rune stone?"

"I wanted to discuss who this should go to. It's a stealth stone that dropped when I killed Kang Tae-shik."

"What- what is there to even discuss? Of course, you'll take it! I already have a stealth skill!"

"Well, yes... I just wanted to consult you first."

I get teary-eyed, looking at him sheepishly rubbing his nape. "I have definitely raised you right, Jinwoo-ah."

"Pfft." He picked up his phone and checked the time. "I'll be going around at 7."

"Oh, to where?"

"Joohee told me to meet her at the park."

"I see. Have fun, then. " I felt a bit salty. Meeting a girl at 7 pm? Really?

"Thank you. I'll clean the dishes before I leave, so continue resting. This is the first time you've experienced mana depletion, so there might be side effects."

"Sure, thanks, Jinwoo-ah." I gave him a weary smile and went to my room.