Chapter 2 : Origins

Darkness.

When Noah opened his eyes, all he could see was the pitch black darkness surrounding him. For some reason he felt as if he was underwater but found no difficulty in breathing. He was confused. But at the same time, he couldn't shake off the feeling of familiarity with this place.

"I see... Looks like it isn't the time, yet."

Noah was startled when a deep voice suddenly rang inside his head. He reflexively took a step back, looking around to see who it was.

"Do not bother, little one. The fact that you are unable to see me implies you are not ready. For now, that is." The voice spoke out again.

Noah tried to ask the voice who it was, only to realize that he couldn't speak at all. It felt as if his voice was being suppressed by some kind of force.

"Now, it is time for you to wake up. Good luck, little one. For only time can heal your wounds."

Noah was forced to shut his eyes, as he was enveloped by a brilliant light. When he opened them again, he found himself in a different location - He was lying on a bed, covered with white bandages across his forehead, stomach and both his arms, while dressed in a blue patient gown. The room he was in was covered in white tiles, giving the appearance of a typical room in a hospital with an open window on the right side of his bed.

"Finally awake, sleepyhead?" His attention was brought towards the second occupant of the room - A young woman in a doctor's attire. She had waist-length blonde hair, jade-green eyes and sported a gentle smile on her face.

"... Are you the one who saved me, miss?" Noah spoke after a few seconds of silence, in an impassive voice.

"Oh my, how polite..." She lightly giggled. "But no. That would be Sir Walther. I am merely the doctor who is in charge of nursing you back to full health, you see. You can call me Sylfriede. So, what's your name, boy?"

"Noah. Noah Alberich." He stated.

"So, Noah. How do you feel right now?"

"I...don't know. I feel much better than before. But at the same time, I also feel... empty."

"What do you mean?" She frowned.

"Like... I know I should feel happy about being alive. But right now, I feel nothing. I don't feel happy about it. I don't feel sad about it. I-I don't feel anything about it."

'This... I see.' She could guess what had happened to him. 'He's broken.'

*KNOCK* *KNOCK*

They were interrupted when someone knocked on the door. "Is the boy awake, Sylfriede?" A voice was heard from outside the room.

"Now you can meet the person who saved you, Noah." She told him and got up to open the door. Noah looked on as an elderly man who appeared to be of similar age to his grandpa entered the room. He had neatly combed gray hair and sported a medium-length mustache. Noah saw Sylfriede whisper something into his ears, to which the man nodded.

"It's nice to see you awake, Noah." He sat on a chair right next to him. "As she may have told you, my name is Walther. I am the one who found you out there in the open."

"Thank you, I guess..." Noah replied in a plane tone. Walther raised an eyebrow at the unusual reply, but chose to ignore it for now.

"Noah, if you don't mind, are you willing to answer some of my questions?" Walther asked him, to which he simply nodded. "So tell me. How did you end up in the middle of that forest, in such harsh weather no less?"