That's early.

The last night was fun, talking like they had been friends. She smiled at the thought of Yomi being a good friend.

A knock came in, jolting her out of reverie.

“Come in.” She said as she pulled up the covers to her chest.

The door was pushed open, and a sweaty Yomi walked in. He had obviously gone out for a run. He looked deliciously handsome in his grey T-shirt and sweatpants. His muscles flexed underneath the T-shirt as he closed the door behind him, making him overly desirable. His skin glistened with sweat. He was indeed a sight for sore eyes.

“Good morning.” He greeted with a warm smile. “I didn't wake you, did I?”

“Hmm?” She blinked, “Oh, I slept well.”

He smirked, “I could take that as a 'yes, I did wake you'.”

Dinma flushed. “Oh! No you didn't, I was up already.”

“Then I guess you slept well.” He walked towards her, causing her heart to race, and she clutched the pendant of her grandma's necklace around her neck to save her heart.

The foot of the bed dipped in as he sat, and she was forced to drag up her legs to her chest, ignoring the ache.

His look turned stern, “You shouldn't be doing that.”

She cleared her throat, “Don't you have to go to work?”

“Fortunately, I'm working from home today.”

“You have to take Zara to school.”

“Are you looking for means to chase me away?”

Her eyes widened, “What! No!”

He gave a small smile, “I was just about to wake her up, but decided to see if you were okay.”

“Aww, that's thoughtful.” She said with a smile.

“Breakfast–”

They heard the front door open, which was followed by a woman's yell.

His mum.

“Yomi! Yomi!!”

Dinma saw as embarrassment crept up on his face, his eyes widened, and she heard him curse silently. He stood from the bed and walked to the door not before whispering over his shoulders,“I'm coming.”

He opened the door, but when he froze at the door, she knew his mum was in front of the door. Dinma heard her before she saw her.

“Yomi I was calling your name, didn't you hear me?”

“I was coming, Ekaaro ma.” He greeted.

Ekaaro, why are you standing as if you're glued to the door?” His mum asked.

At this point, Dinma felt her heart skip beats as though she was almost caught stealing.

“Nothing ma.” He replied like a teenager hiding something, and Dinma almost ran a disappointed palm over her face.

His mum stepped around him into the room, her eyes widened at the sight of Dinma on the bed, and she could only imagine the thoughts that ran through the woman's head; a woman in her late daughter-inlaw's bed in nothing but a night dress.

“Good morning ma.” She was quick to greet the woman.

“Dinma.” She watched as the older woman's face broke into a wide smile. “I didn't know you sleep in.”

“I don't–”

Yomi interrupted from behind his mum, “Dinma was shot, so I asked her to stay here.”

His mum's look turned into a confused one, “You were shot?”

Dinma nodded and threw off the covers, giving the woman enough to understand as she revealed the leg covered in cast.

“Jesus Christ!” The older woman yelled as she neared the bed, to have a closer look. “How did it happen?”

“A robbery.”

“Have you reported to police?”

Dinma nodded, “Yes”

“You went to a doctor?”

“Yes ma.”

“You were given medications?”

“Yes ma.”

“Your enemies will not see you, olorun ma je.” His mum said snapping her fingers.

“Amen” Dinma echoed.

“Has Yomi given you breakfast?”

Dinma shook her head, “I just woke up ma.”

“I was just about to.” Yomi defended.

“It's alright. You should be resting.” Then she turned to her son behind her, “Don't you know she needs food in order to take her drugs? Go and prepare Zara for school, I'll make breakfast.”

“I'll come and assist you.” Dinma made to stand.

“No my dear, you need to rest.”

“You won't even know I'm there.” She insisted.

“Don't worry, I can handle everything.” His mum said. “I insist you stay in bed, at least until the leg heals.” Her voice held a tone of finality.

“Okay.” She said in defeat, and she could swear she heard Yomi chuckle.

                        ¶¶¶

“One. Simple. Task!” She yelled at their faces. “A simple one. Get me the freaking box, but no! You decide to shoot her. Are you dumb? Did I pay you for nothing?”

The smallest of the three men that stood before her, who looked more like a teenager than an adult, took a drag from his cigarette, and puffed up the smoke, before he spoke in his scratchy voice.

Mama, make I no lie give you, we turn that house upside down, nothing comot, no box dey there.”

She was clearly getting irritated, “Look, I didn't pay you that much for this nonsense you're blabbering. You either refund my money, or you get me the box. I'm not playing.”

The oldest of them, more like their gang leader who had been quiet spoke, his voice held venom and authority that made her flich, but she still wanted them to know that she was in charge, she made no expression.

Mama, you know say police don secure that house, we no fit go there without reneforcemints, and that one na money so.”

She rolled her eyes, “Reinforcements.”

“Eh?” He asked dumbly.

“Whatever, look she doesn't live there anymore, she stays–” She was cut short by the ringing of her phone. She made to ignore it but its persistence made her reach for the device in her hand bag. It was her Dad.

“Hello daddy.”

“Temi, how did it go?”

I'm really sorry for the slow updates.
I'm really working hard to get a perfect update schedule.
In the meantime, please enjoy!!!