10

Few minutes after Yomi left, Dinma heard the ladies come in, but she didn't turn to acknowledge them. She still was facing the wall, with her eyes shut.

“We're back!” She heard Abike exclaim.

“Welcome.” She replied, then turned gently to her other side, ignoring the pain that shot on her left leg.

“You shouldn't be doing that.” Temi said with a frown. Then she dropped the white plastic bags she was carrying, on the table beside the bed, and Abike did the same.

“We bought food.” Temi said.
Dinma nodded at this, and watched as she carefully brought out the plastic plates containing the meal, from the bags.

“Where's Mr. Johnson?” Abike asked, suddenly looking around her.

“He left.” Dinma replied as she tried to sit up.

“Why?” Abike frowned “I was supposed to leave with him.”

Dinma shrugged offhandedly, and collected the plate Temi handed her. It contained a meal of jollof rice and chicken drumstick, and her mouth watered at the sight. She was quick to dig into the meal, only cocking a brow when she noticed how the ladies stared at her.

“What?” Her words were muffled as she still had a mouthful.

Temi shook her head, “Nothing, just keep eating.”

A knock came on the opened door, earning their glances. The doctor strode in with two other people behind him.

“Good you're eating already.” He said, then he gestured to the men behind him “They are the police, they came to get your statement.”

Dinma heard Temi grunt, but she didn't spare her a glance, she just gave the two officers before her awkward stares.

Now, it seemed like she had forgot how to eat, as she had to chew the food in mouth hurriedly, making her self conscious. She suspended her meal when the task of chewing proved difficult, and the ladies with the doctor excused themselves, leaving her with the officers.

The officers seemed friendly and nice. They got her to narrate what had happened, taking notes at strategic points. She skillfully avoided the part about the robbers looking for a box, and let the officers think it was a normal robbery. And when she was done, they assured that they were going to find the robbers.  They also advised she stayed away from her house for a while since she was the only one in her vicinity who was attacked, and also the fact that they suspected that the robbers were most likely to attack her again.

Shortly after they left, Temi came in without Abike, but that was least of her problems.

“What did they say?” Temi asked, making herself comfortable in the seat.

“That I should stay away from the house.” She replied dryly, fiddling with her hands.

“Okay.”

“Okay?”She looked up at her friend, “What's okay about it? I don't have any where else.”

“You could always crash in Toju's crib.”

Dinma shook her head, “No nau, I can't do that. You sef reason it, does it sound wise in your ears?”

“This is not about it 'sounding wise'. You need somewhere to stay until this whole thing blows over.”

“No.” She said facetiously, “I'd rather stay in Yomi's house.”

Temi froze, then her face broke into a whimsical smile, as though Dinma had just given her the best idea.