8

“A box of letters? Now that's hilarious.” Temi laughed hysterically, not minding that they were seated outside their apartment.

The landlady shot Temi a questioning glance as she scooped up water with a bowl from a drum into a bucket, but Temi didn't mind, she laughed loudly, clutching her stomach.

Dinma had come home earlier that day with luggages containing food stuff that could feed a family for a year, and while she had unpacked the bags, Temi returned from work wanting to know how the weekend had gone for Dinma.
Because the house was hot, the ladies sat outside with Dinma narrating her ordeal with her family and of course the will.

Temi wiped the tears that had formed and tried to calm herself but not doing so well, as she burst into another fits of laughter.

"It's not funny." Dinma said with a pout.

"I'm... I'm sorry." She sniffled. "But it's funny."

"I know. At first I didn't even know how to react. Everyone was laughing at me, and I was so mad. But then-" Dinma shrugged and flicked off an imaginary lint off her skirt. "It is what it is. I guess there's a reason she wanted me to have it."

"So you're saying your grandma only willed you a box of letters."

"No. Every grand child gets 20 million naira -" Dinma whispered.

"Holy moly! So you have 20 million naira sitting in your account right now?" Temi whispered back, her eyes widened.

Dinma shook her head "No."
She wanted to keep talking, but she caught the eyes of her landlady who kept giving them surreptitious glances.

Then she turned to Temi "Do you think landlady can hear us?"

Temi looked to the landlady "No. I don't think so"

"Okay? But what's with the creepy stares?"

"Madam I don't know." Temi replied in exasperation "Go on with the story."

She was still not satisfied with Temi's answer, but she replied in a whisper. "I can't access the money until I'm married for at least a year."

"Shit! Grandma Josephine be playing you dirty. Your grandma is a legend."

"Well, that's it. But I think there's more to the whole letter thing."

"Have you opened the box at least?"

"No." Dinma shook her head, and said with a scowl "I don't think I'm mentally prepared to be reading letters my grand parents exchanged."

Temi chuckled. "Whenever you start reading them, just let me know."

Dinma made a face.

                           †††

The days went by in a blur, with nothing eventful happening. She was back at work, grateful to be back with the kids.

It was the day she would resume work as Mr. Johnson's nanny, so as she sat by her desk while the kids had their nap, she let her mind wander. She wondered what it would feel like working for him.

She had met him just as she had promised, a few days back, and there she had agreed that she was going to work as his daughter's nanny, but not before giving him her own working conditions. She had stated that she would not live with him, grateful that he didn't probe for reasons.
She would have loved to, it was the easiest option for a nanny, but her parents would kill her if they found out that she was living with a man who wasn't her husband, and also it would ruin her career if anyone knew about it.