Chapter 9

I closed the door lightly behind me and leaned back on it for support as the first tear slid down my face that was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Charles mother thinks she got her son back with my signature on the divorce papers but Charles and I both knew it meant I was giving up our relationship. We both finally have to accept it's the end we are finished.

I stopped in the entrance to the foyer and composed myself before facing the other guests. I walked out into the foyer only to be tackled around the waist by my Trent.

"Hey, Mummy. Where did you go?" Trent asked looking up at me still clinging to my waist.

I smiled down at him before answering, "Talking to daddy about adult stuff."

"Grandma Van Der Houston was really rude to Liam, Grandma Van Gard, Uncle Jayden and Auntie Tatiana," Trent told me with a sour look on his face.

I grimaced as I was hoping he didn't notice the rift in between the two families but the kid is just too observant, I tried to change the subject, "I'm sure she wasn't. Why don't you go say hi to daddy?"

"Ok." He replied and raced off to find his father.

Charlotte, Charles sister, entered the ballroom looking around until her eyes landed on me and she began wading through the crowd to get to me.

"Ah, if it isn't my dear sister-in-law or should I say ex-sister-in-law?" she questioned with a raised brow.

I smiled guiltily at her, "I had to do it. I have to think of Trent and my family first. I did what was best and what was needed."

"What was needed?" she screamed drawing everyone's attention to us.

I stepped back from her volume, "Yes, Charlotte. I did I know Charles is hurting but news flash so am I. Your family, have destroyed the most sacred thing to me. I cannot be a member of a family who are cold and heartless, I don't want that for my little boy. You know what I mean better than anybody."

"You have no idea about my family." Charlotte said in a steely voice.

I lifted my gown, "Your right I don't and now I don't have to."

I turned my back on her and re-entered the ballroom to see the party in full swing there was food, drink and dancing. I noted Trent sitting with his father while Charles just stared off into the distance looking the picture of a broken man.

I approached them, "Would you care to have this dance?" I spoke to Trent while offering him my hand.

"Yes, I would, thank you," Trent said politely remembering his manners as he guided me to the dance floor.

Trent had to learn to dance as a member of the Van Der Houston's, Upper East Side royalty; he had to know social etiquette. Personally I thought that was a bit much for a five year old but Trent loved learning how to be a proper gentleman, in fact I think that's the only part of being a Van Der Houston he enjoys.

We danced to many songs changing dance with the music, currently we were doing a waltz when my brother and Tatiana asked to interrupt. I continued to dance with my brother until my feet hurt and I had to sit down.

Tatiana was sitting at the table while my mum and Trent were dancing and Liam was at the bar getting us drinks.

"So, how did it go?" Tatiana enquired the moment I sat down.

I got comfy then responded, "When I first went with him he started asking me all these questions about us and our relationship and I thought I saw a bit of the old Charles coming back to me. But then his mother came in and he put his ice mask back in place. His mother made this big speech about how she knew I'd never last and I was never going to be good enough for her Charles. I gave Charles the opportunity to say something but he never, so I stood up gave her the divorce papers and told her how weak she made her son and how I'll never regret my marriage. She got angry and I told her that she won this part but there is far more to come."

"Wow," Tatiana exclaimed while Jayden sat there taking it all in.

I shifted in my seat before continuing with the story, "That's not even the best part once I had left the room I encountered Charlotte in the foyer and she started making snide remarks about the divorce before accusing me of being the bad guy. I thought she'd understand. I informed her I wanted better for Trent and she started screaming about me knowing nothing about her family. I was done by that point and just told her I didn't want to know and walked away. Tonight has been one of the hardest of my life pretending I'm ok while it's really killing me inside. Tonight my marriage officially ended."

"It's ok, sis. You have us and that beautiful little man over there," my brother tried to cheer me up pointing over at where Trent and Mum are dancing.

I smiled thankfully at my brother, "Thank you so much for being there for me and especially for Trent. I don't know what I'd do without you."

I got up and headed to the bar where a guy was standing waiting to be served he kept looking at me out of the corner of his eye before he finally turned to me.

"Hey, your Isabella, right?" the man asked.

I studied him trying to recognise him, "Yeah. You're that reporter from outside. Cole I think?"

"Yes. That's me." He confirmed.

I laughed before reading his expression he was clearly curious about something, "What is it you would like to ask?"

"Are you and saint Charles really over?" he enquired.

"Yes," I stated confused.

"Good," he smiled and walked away with his drink in hand. What was that about?

..........................................................................................

Vote.Comment.Follow