70| (GOOD) NEWS AND WINE

Start from the beginning

"You can't drink!" I said, looking at her wide-eyed.

"I know I can't! The doc said it's not good for the baby." She said, breathing erratically.

"What, baby?"

"My baby, of course." She said. Oh, God. No. No. Fuck. Tell me it wasn't what I thought it was.

"I am pregnant, Eva!" My mom said, and I nearly fainted. 

Hold it together. Breathe. Just breathe.

"Calm down, mom. Calm down. It's alright. I am happy for you!" I said, trying my best not to lose my shit.

"You are? I thought you'd be mad. No one knows. I am yet to tell Ron!" She said, looking at me with teary eyes.

"Mom, I am not allergic to your happiness. I love you. But now, the wine has to go. You need to stay sober!" I said, holding her hands, and she let out a sob.

"I love you too, Eva. I am sorry for not being a great mother, darling, but I have always loved you." She said, and I couldn't help but hug her.

Did I expect her to tell me these things right now? Nope. Was I freaked out? Apparently yes. But I didn't want to ruin the big day for her.

"Now, no more tears. You'll ruin the makeup. You're going to walk down the aisle, say I do, and bring some sense in that ape! Aye?" I said, sounding like Hitch, the date doctor. Weird. Where did all the sulkiness go? I guess it is the wedding bells and the jolly good wishes in the air getting to my head.

"Thanks for the motivation. And Eva, behave!" My mom said, and I let out a chuckle.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I said, and she burst into peals of laughter.

~

"How do you plan on letting Ron know?" I wondered.

Mom and I were waiting in the bride's corner. Will could be here any minute now. I held my breath for some reason. Perhaps it was the excitement. I had never been a bridesmaid before. Certainly not at my mother's wedding!

"Guess I will figure something out." She said when I spotted Will.

"You know the drill mom! No wine, no smoke, no sex. For six months." I said, and she nudged her elbow at me.

"Ouch!"

"I am not pregnant for the first time!" She said.

"Sorry, I tend to forget the obvious!" I said.

Will walked closer to where we stood. He wore a coral bow tie with his creamé tuxedo. The colors complemented his tanned skin. His right eyebrow scar sat right there when his eyes sparked as they landed on me.

"Uh-I-uh..." Will said, and mom looked at him quizzically.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one getting butterflies.

"Huh?" I asked.

"I am here to take the bride." He said, clearing his throat as he got his composure.

"Sure. There you go, mom! All the best!" I said, and Will took mom's hand to escort her to the bride's entry.

"Eva?"

"Huh?" I asked, my eyes glued to Will and his smile as he said something to my mom, and she laughed. On a scale of one to ten, Will could be a nine if we talked sons-in-law. I was maybe biased, of course.

"Eva?"

"What?" I asked, finally turning around.

"You're drooling!" Amanda said, and I realized I was practically gawking at Will's back.