Simon: "A little sticky?" Really?

Daija: Should I have said, "very sticky," my trouble-making rival?

He shouldn't have smiled at that, but he did anyway.

Simon: Thin ice, Ms. Cross.

Daija: We're ice-skating now? That's amazing! :-) I'm pretty sure I did that once when I was a kid.

Simon: This is what we're doing today?

Daija: Now who's the one in the bad mood, crabby pants?

The next reply made Simon stop in his tracks.

Daija: Or should I say, "sticky pants"?

He took a small breath, chuckled as he thought of his revenge plan, then sent a reply.

Simon: You think you're funny?

Daija: I think I'm hilarious.

Simon: Keep it up, Daija.

Daija: Instead of telling me to keep it up, how about you keep up? I'm ahead in our competition.

Simon: For now.

Daija: *Forever.

My god, you're not letting up today at all, aren't you?

Simon: We'll see.

There was no response for a while, then another came in.

Daija: I actually needed that laugh today. Thank you. <3

Bad day, huh? He thought to himself. He was tempted to ask if she needed to talk about anything, but remembered that they weren't exactly close yet.

Simon: Anytime, my pretty hero.

He put his phone away, then continued his way to Sierra's office. Simon enjoyed walking through the building above base. It was a subtle reminder that there was more to his life than the monstrous world below.

He felt like he still had a lot to learn as far as remaining balanced. He wasn't sure how his mother did it while managing and growing a company. Then she even got married to his father and became a mother, which he thought was the hardest full-time job someone could ever take on.

"You're too hard on yourself," She would always tell him when he told her how he felt.

He knew why she often told him that. Sean being murdered. Being depowered and sent to prison, nearly dying when he killed Ian and being unable to use his powers for a full year, on top of being depressed and self-destructive. But as the oldest, he couldn't help but feel like he wasn't doing enough. He knew that handling the work underground was perfect for him so Sierra could handle the work above ground, but he often felt like enough wouldn't be enough until there was true change in the world.

There'd be change once he got rid of the heroes.

-----

Simon knew that if he wanted to get out of this alive, he was going to have to calm down right fucking now. Though he was angry, he was also terrified.

His flames had never been this strong. He guessed it was because they were out of his reach for the last few months, or maybe it was because his rage was hot enough to incinerate Kunross and everyone in it.

He shut his eyes and focused on pulling air into his lungs, trying to calm his thoughts and every urge to release more of his flames, since the rain would put them out. His head pounded, and he knew he needed to be careful, or he'd burn out much faster. He was already at his limit.