4.6: The Dive

The next day, we were all going to make a delivery to Eddie who needed supplies. I had the unfortunate reality of sitting in the back of the station wagon with Steve and Dustin feeling every little bump and pothole. We had food and beer for Eddie in hopes that it would cheer him up, but Steve and Dustin were currently eating it.

"You guys do know that food is for Eddie, right?" I asked and they both looked at me with wide eyes. 

"Yeah." They both answered like they had been caught.

"Then you're eating it because..." I started asking them why they were eating his food. Steve looked at Dustin for help and he thought for a moment.

"Quality control." Dustin shrugged and Steve agreed snapping his fingers. 

"That's right. Quality control. Nice one, Henderson." He complimented the boy and I just sighed and rolled my eyes. 

"Not to be a wimp, but can I sit in the car? 'Cause this is gonna totally and royally suck." Robin asked not wanting to relay the news to Eddie. 

"It'll be fine." Nancy said adjusting her hands on the wheel.

"I can't stand to see those dull eyes of Eddie's break again. I really, really can't." Robin admitted feeling empathy for Eddie.

"At least he can drink himself into feeling better." Steve said with his mouth full of the food we brought for Eddie. 

"That's what my mom does." Max said bitterly and I looked at her with sympathy. 

"Why don't we give it a trial?" Robin said before rehearsing what we were going to say to Eddie. "Hey, Eddie. Uh, good news first this time. We got you some Dustin-approved junk food and that six-pack you requested. Oh yeah, and we found Vecna. Bad news is that he's in that other, darker, much scarier dimension, and the gate's closed, so we have no way of getting to him. He's entirely shut off to us, so basically you're screwed. And, no, I know you were already screwed, but now you're doubly, triply screwed." Robin ranted feeling absolutely awful for the metal head in question.

"Wait. Maybe we don't put it like that." Lucas suggested knowing that it wouldn't go over well.

"We're one step closer to finding Vecna. That's what we say. That's what's important." Nancy said determined on giving him some sort of good news.

"See, Robin? Positive spin can make all the difference." Steve shrugged and Robin nodded. "And if that doesn't work, Frankie pulls out her boobies to make him feel better." Steve suggested and my eyes widened as I slapped Steve's arm. 

"I am not doing that." I said frustrated that he would even suggest something like that.

"It could work, you know." Dustin pointed out glancing at my chest. 

"If you don't keep your eyes up here, I will personally beat you to a pulp." I said gesturing to my eyes and he held his hands up in defeat.

"Sorry." He apologized and I nodded.

"That's what I thought." I muttered before we pulled up to Reefer Rick's house and saw that there were police cars everywhere. 

"Oh shit." Nancy said knowing that something bad happened. We all got out of the car. "This way." Nancy said leading us behind a news van to see what was going on. 

"As many of you know, the Roane County line received a call a little after midnight... reporting a homicide here on the lake. Officer Callahan here and myself arrived first on the scene. We made our way to the shore of Lover's Lake, about ten yards from that house you see behind me. It was there that we found the victim, an 18-year-old senior from Hawkins High, Patrick McKinney. His limbs... His body, it was disfigured... There was an eyewitness on the scene... We have also identified a person of interest. Eddie Munson." Powell said holding up a photo of Eddie and I gasped knowing that this was very bad. "We encourage anyone with information to please come forward." Powell informed the reporter.