Four

You don't have to be able to know how to express yourself for you to know what you're feeling. That was one of the things Roman had told Mae after another argument with her mother.

Mae's mother, another phenomenon in the Walters family. She had had Mae when she was eighteen. At that age, she was supposed to be exploring, beginning life, finding out what she wanted to do when she was older, or at that moment after she got her diploma. Cammy, amidst all her pleasures in life, conceived an entire human, the result of one of her pleasures.

Cammy didn't want a child so young. She couldn't get rid of it either. She grew up in a strict household where one's body was the temple of the Lord. Immeasurable shock and embarrassment surrounded her family when their neighbours, even the church, found out about Lady Faith's first born daughter. An example to all families in the community, now a disgrace. The girl who had graduated high school with all As, exquisite etiquette and a face you would find on the front cover of a vogue magazine.

According to Cammy, she had ruined her reputation and the way people viewed her.

Mae's alleged father, a man named Theodore Walters, wasn't exactly as put together as Cammy. He had no plan for his life at that time. Well at least he managed to graduate from high school.

Theodore watched that day as Camilla Hope Reyes gave her valedictorian speech in front of all seniors, teachers, and even her family: her parents and two younger brothers. Everybody, even the parents of other seniors looked at her as if wishing she was theirs. They were proud.

Theodore a few months later would corrupt her innocence, showing her the pleasures of this world. From swimming at the local lake at night, to dangerous stunts during the day. Down to the nights where low gasps would be heard behind the closed door to his room. They would fold themselves against each other and talk about what they wanted to do in life.

"I wanted to become a nurse you know," Theo said as he brushed Cammy's hair behind her ear as the lay on his bed. "Work as a health care officer in a hospital... I just wanted to work in a hospital."

Cammy looked at him like he was the best thing to happen to her. "So? What happened?"

"I fell back in high school. Doubted myself. It could have been me as the valedictorian."
Theo laughed. Cammy sensed no hurt in his tone, and so laughed with him.

"You can still so it you know." Her hand slid down his chest, and then back up, where she proceeded to draw shapes. "You have a diploma. Maybe go to a college or something? You're really smart, I know you can so this."

Cammy was only eighteen.

That night hid a secret. And that secret was revealed when two months later, she came to find out that she was, in fact, pregnant. Cammy had reached out to him, only to find out he left to a college somewhere. To pursue his dream, she thought. But the hurt, anger and humiliation could not let her see that. He had left her.

Cammy was only eighteen.

How was she supposed to take care of a child on her own.

Mae reminded her of all the pain and happiness she felt at that time, that time she was supposed to go to Colombia University but instead, got Mae.

She had yet to move on from that pain.

***

Mae wished the scandal Lia was trying to start about her Biology teacher online would make her laugh. It didn't. Usually she would just call Roman when her mom blew up at her again, but he was not there anymore.

He wasn't there anymore.

She successfully managed to go through half of her week without even glancing at him. She was proud of herself ... well, kind of.

She lay on her bed that Thursday evening scrolling through Instagram. She usually regrets being there after scrolling through people's profiles for a while.

She noticed she had two new followers.

liafornew started following you.

That was two weeks ago. How long had she been offline?

Lia was one popular girl in around high school. She was an influencer. Whatever she said, people believed. Most of the stories she said online, mostly on Twitter, or the school's secret portal, was true.

Does she even know me? Wait...

Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock on her door.

"Mae? Dinner's ready!" Her sister.

Mae sighed. Time to go face mom's wrath.

***

🔸Didn't plan to update today. But there you go? I'm planning on making an Instagram account just for the stories Im writing. Let's see how that turns out.

🔸More Cammy+Theo?

Have a nice day~