Chapter 15

"Mirage? Mirage?" A familiar voice shook Jasmin out of her memories. Wait, she was Mirage. Mirage the second Sandwing of Jade Winglet.

Not Jasmin. Jasmin was a foolish Rainwing who trusted even the most sinister Nightwing in anything.

But she was still Jasmin, just in a different form.

And now Deathbringer, that cheeky Nightwing, was Queen Glory's personal bodyguard. He did not deserve that, not in all of Pyrrhia.

"Mirage?"

Mirage shook her head, clearing her thoughts. Qibli was watching her carefully, and his eyes betrayed suspicion.

"I'm fine. Just thinking." She sighed. To be honest, those nights outside the Rainwing village were one of her only good memories. Those nights were busy, busy, busy, just like how Mirage liked it to be. Moon was looking at her strangely, and her face was furrowed as if she was listening to invisible things.

Like she was reading her mind.

"What?" Mirage snapped at the Nightwing. Moon looked down, and if she had Rainwing scales, Mirage was pretty sure she would be purple for guilt.

"Let's go back," Kinkajou suggested. She had a berry stain on her snout, and Mirage guessed that the Rainwing had found a berry bush nearby while she was catching the goat.

"Sure," Turtle said, flying over to them. The group flew back to the prey center, and Mirage caught a lizard on the way.

After finishing their meal, chatting with Clay, talking about clawmates, and sharing the goat with Sora and Marsh, Mirage was able to push her memory to the back of her mind. Moon had a strange, faraway look in her eyes, and Mirage stared at her curiously.

"Um, Sora, do you want to go to the library with me?" Moon blurted. Sora looked at her, surprised, then nodded.

"I'd like that," She whispered shyly.

The two dragonets headed towards the library, and the remaining ones turned back to their food. 

"I'm full," Mirage said. "I'll go to the history cave early."

"No! Please stay and talk with us," Kinkajou said, reaching out with a talon to grab her tail. Mirage twitched her tail-barb warningly, and the Rainwing gulped and quickly withdrew her talon.

"Mirage! You might want to stop that habit, or you will probably have to face the fiery wrath of Tsunami's anger for poisoning your own clawmate," Clay warned.

"I don't want to stop this habit," Mirage muttered. "It's useful in the Scorpion Den. Right, Qibli?"

The Sandwing looked startled for a moment, then nodded his head.

"You have to watch your back; It's either you die or survive," He said. "I have experience with my siblings."

"Sirocco and Rattlesnake did seem very grumpy," Mirage agreed. "Your mother is Cobra, right?"

Qibli nodded as a shadow crossed his face.

"She's violent," She observed. "Very smashy."

Qibli had an expression that said he couldn't agree more.