Chapter 12

"Ookaay..." Qibli wrinkled his snout in a thoughtful way. "So, what exactly do we need to worry about? You killing us, or Queen Scarlet still being alive?"

"Probably Queen Scarlet," Kinkajou piped up. "Mirage wouldn't kill us all."

"Course I won't," She snorted. Her tail twitched, instinctively pointing at Kinkajou, who was way too close to her  than comfortable. It was after the small group discussion, and the winglet was hunting. Mirage had told them about Queen Scarlet's plan, and they were discussing while hunting.

"Can I go to the Scorpion Den to earn some food?" Mirage flew over to Tsunami. 

"No, certainly not," She answered breezily. "You stay in the mountain and stay there."

"But I already left at dawn," She pointed out.

"You what?"

"I went to the Scorpion Den to get breakfast at dawn."

Tsunami sighed. 

"Look," She patted Mirage's head. The Sandwing-Rainwing ducked, tail-barb barely stopping itself from plunging into the blue Seawing's heart. It twitched instead, close to her side. Tsunami flinched slightly.

"I know you do this regularly, but this is a school for peace, and assassinating is the complete opposite of that," She explained. Mirage spotted a mountain goat near them, and nodded. She dived, tail-barb pointed down, and aimed at the animal's side.

Only it wasn't the goat.

Moon had lunged at the exact same heartbeat, and she was in Mirage's aim.

"Moon, get out of the way!" She shrieked a second too late. Her venomous tail plunged straight at her friend's heart.