Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine
__________

__________Tally sat on his seat in the trailer with his hands folded in his lap

__________
Tally sat on his seat in the trailer with his hands folded in his lap.

It felt like his designated spot at this point. Like if he sat anywhere else, it would just feel wrong.

And of course, it wouldn't feel right unless one of his friends was sitting across from him.

He watched Max carefully. The way she gently bobbed her head as she listened to what Tally could only assume was Kate Bush.

The way her fingers tapped against the table absentmindedly.

Tally reached forwards and poked her hand in what he hoped was a calm way. She still jumped slightly as she pulled her headphones off her head and set them down on the table in front of her.

"You okay?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

Tally nodded slowly. "Yeah, I— um," he winced at his sudden inability to speak. He'd been so sure that he wanted to talk to her a few seconds ago, and now he had absolutely no idea what to say.

"Take your time," Max said, smiling softly.

He nodded, gripping the corner of the table. "I just... forgot to say thank you."

"What?"

He shifted in his seat, discomfort creeping into his body. "Yeah. You know, for... for a lot of stuff actually. When I woke up in the trailer park, helping me with Vecna... everything else."

Max nudged his arm affectionately. "You would have done the same thing."

Tally laughed lightly. Would he? Would he really?

"I'm serious," he remarked, breathing deeply to keep himself from passing out. "Thank you."

Max nodded slowly. "I should be thanking you."

What.

She looked down at her hands and Tally noticed the way she trembled slightly. So subtly that she might as well have been shivering.

"I've..." Max squeezed her eyes shut tightly. "This is going to sound so stupid."

Tally laughed. "I'm in no position to judge."

Max's chest visibly tightened, and for a moment her breathing pattern resembled Tally's. "I've missed having an older brother."

Tally felt his eyebrows raise and his jaw slack. He didn't know Max thought of him like that. His lips drew into a wide smile.

The two of them sat in silence for a while, and Tally began to feel the familiar buzz of affection growing in his chest. All the people in the RV have him that buzz.

It was nice.

"You know, your brother hit a kid for me once," Tally said, smiling fondly.

Max laughed. "No way."

Tally nodded, eyes widening as he let the memory flow into his thoughts freely. "Yeah, last year. This senior was been harassing me—I don't remember why—and Billy comes out of nowhere and punches him in the stomach. I'd never seen a senior cry before that."

"Holy shit," Max laughed hysterically, shaking her head. "You're making this up."

Tally grinned. "I'm not, he didn't even stick around long enough for me to thank him."

Max had to stop talking for a moment, almost wheezing with laughter. "The senior deserved it."

"Totally."

The buzzing in Tally's body disappeared abruptly as he felt the vehicle slowly roll to a stop.

The Sinclair siblings began to stand up, both of them with grave looks of fear on their faces, like they'd both just seen a ghost.

If only they were up against ghosts.

Max stood up, determination set into her features. She moved to put her headphones back in, but paused, looking at Tally.

"Can I hug you?" she asked gently, voice so small and gentle that Tally almost didn't believe it was coming from Max Mayfield.

"Yeah, yeah sure," Tally stood up as well.

Max only came up to his shoulder, though she didn't seem particularly intimidated as she wrapped her arms around him tightly. Tally's posture softened as he hugged the younger girl back.

After what didn't feel like long enough, Max pulled away, wiping her eyes.

"Thanks for being a good fake brother," she whispered.

Tally smiled softly. "Anytime."

_________