Chapter Twenty-Seven

__________

__________"This is how literally all horror movies happen

__________
"This is how literally all horror movies happen."

"He's not wrong," Robin reluctantly muttered as the group hiked through the dark, sullen woods.

"I'm not," Tally agreed, shifting the weight of his flashlight from one hand to the other.

Eddie almost tripped over a tree root snaking across the ground, though Steve narrowly managed to prop him up.

"Maybe we should do this tomorrow?" Lucas said nervously. "When it's light out?"

"Don't be a wuss," Max retorted, nudging him in a somewhat affectionate manner.

Tally groaned. He agreed with Lucas, though he'd never say it out loud. Max had already teased him enough, he didn't need her calling him a wuss.

Tally Parker was not a wuss.

"Tally? you okay?" he heard Nancy ask softly. Her voice was trembling, though it was barely audible.

Tally moved his head in a circular motion. It was somewhere between a nod and shaking his head. Whether he was being vague on purpose, or subconsciously, he didn't know.

Soon enough, Dustin stopped walking. Right on the bank of Lover's Lake.

Tally was suddenly nauseous.

He remembered what he'd seen here. Not even a week ago. Patrick. One of his best friends.

Tally doubled over, clutching his stomach. He heard his friends cry out with concern, all of them moving towards him.

He felt Max crouch in front of him, pushing his shoulder until he looked at her.

"Tally?" she asked, eyebrows somehow raised and furrowed at the same time. "Okay?"

Tally squeezed his eyes shut tightly. "Bad memories."

"Do you need to leave?" Steve asked, his voice more than slightly concerned. "I can drive you home."

Eddie made a sympathetic noise, and Tally looked up at him. He'd forgotten that the older boy had witnessed the exact same thing he had.

To Chrissy and Patrick.

The pencil grew heavy inside of Tally's pocket.