Chapter Six

《Chapter Six
__________

《Chapter Six》__________

__________

"What the fuck were you thinking?" Tally yelled at Jason as soon as he got back into the pickup's passenger seat and Jason started driving.

"Calm down, Tally," Jason muttered, not taking his eyes off the road. His face was red, from anger or embarrassment, it was unclear which.

"Let me out of the car," Tally demanded, his hands shaking as he tried to clench them into fists.

"Tally, we're in the middle of nowhere, just take a second to cool off—"

"Jason, let me out."

Both Jason and Tally were surprised by the sternness in his voice. A month ago he never would have dared to even think about using that tone with Jason Carver. Something had changed inside of him.

Jason pulled over. The rest of the basketball players called out in protest from the bed of Jason's pickup.

Tally fidgeted with the door handle until it popped open.

"Tally, it's dark out. I'll apologize, whatever, just don't go wandering around out there," Jason pleaded. Tally was amazed with how good the older boy was at acting. He could go from merciless interrogator to sympathetic negotiator in less than ten minutes.

Tally shook his head frantically as he gazed out of the truck into the dark, grim woods lining the sides of the road they were on. He felt an odd nostalgia gripping his body.

"Tally—"

"I'll find my own way home," Tally said, his mind made up, determination coursing through his veins as he hopped out of the truck and heard his feet hit the ground below. "You can go now."

Tally may have been convinced that Jason was acting, but his hesitation seemed real. Finally, after Tally began to wander into the woods, he heard the engine of Jason's pickup as it drove away down the road.

Tally didn't know it yet, but getting out of that car was the worst decision he'd ever made.

As he began to stroll back towards the woods, his sense of intuition suddenly went haywire.

For some reason, he felt the urge to start running, so he did, until he broke out of the woods, and saw something more than slightly horrifying.

It was a boy, Tally had seen him around town a couple times, nothing too odd about him, except that now he was suspended in the air, with nothing holding him up.

"Hey!" Tally shouted, running underneath the boy. He wasn't exactly sure what to say. What do you say to someone who's supernaturally floating twenty feet above the ground?

Just when it felt like nothing could possibly get worse, the boys wrist snapped. It made a horrific sound. The loudest crack Tally had ever heard.

After that his ankle snapped. Then his elbow. Then his jaw.

Tally screamed. Not the kind of scream that horror movie featured, or the kind of scream that was meant to break glass. It was a genuine vocal-cord tearing scream.

He had to squeeze his eyes just as he watched the boy's neck snap. He heard more cracking as he dropped to the ground, covering his head with his arms.

The horrible thump beside Tally quickly signified that the terrifying event was over. He was barely able to open his eyes and he let out a quiet sob.

The person in front of him was practically no longer a person. It was like each and every bone in his body had been broken. Something about this seemed uneasily familiar...

Chrissy

This was the exact same thing that supposedly happened to Chrissy. Tally felt himself begin to tremble as he desperately tried to stand up.

"What the hell," Tally whispered underneath his breath, stumbling backwards.

He turned around and started to run. He wasn't exactly sure where he was running, but it was somewhere. Somewhere far away from the boy, lying broken on the ground.

Tally ran like that all the way back home.

__________