Prologue

Prologue
__________

《Prologue》__________

___________

Tally Parker didn't deserve it.

People always told him that he was a good kid. Yeah, maybe "good" was a stretch, but even a pretty okay kid didn't deserve it.

It wasn't a special day. If anything, it was the most ordinary day Tally had all year.

March 14th, 1986. Completely insignificant.

Sure Eddie Munson had yelled at him at lunch, but that wasn't particularly unusual. And of course they'd had a longer basketball practice after school, but that was only because the Championships were coming up.

There was no possible way he could have predicted what happened on his bike ride home.

The sky was a swirling mess of clouds and dark purple light. There'd be rain soon, Tally just hoped that it would happen after he got home.

Though as usual, it seemed that Tally wasn't in a very lucky mood, and it began to downpour.

That was the start of it, the storm. That was when the boy realized that something felt very, very wrong.

Tally wasn't the kind of person to think very much, though at that very moment his mind was going absolutely haywire.

There was a quiet uneasiness creeping up his spine, like someone was watching him, and he immediately regretted taking the shortcut through the woods on his way home.

"Tally."

The boy promptly tumbled off his bike, crashing into the ground hard enough to slice open his knee painfully.

He looked around frantically for whoever had said his name. He was alone. Visibly, alone anyways. He could somehow feel some sort of... presence.

"Hello?" Tally called nervously, frantically scrambling back onto his bike, entire body trembling.

He caught glimpse of his knee, which was bleeding an awful lot. Tally felt his stomach beginning to twitch with nausea.

"Tally."

Tally had to do everything in his power not to scream. It was if the voice had been channeled right into his mind. It made his heart skip several beats.

"Stop it," Tally called out into the woods, as if that was all it would take to stop the voice in his head. "Stop!"

"Tally."

The boy had been scared before. He'd had his fair share of nerve-wracking basketball games, and long fights with his parents. But this kind of fear—this was the kind of sheer terror that he didn't even know existed.

Tally felt his breath grow short, his chest heaved as he tried to find the will to pedal off on his bike, but his body refused to cooperate. All he could do was shake uncontrollably.

"Tally."

The voice was no longer human. This was something much darker and eviler than any human. This was a monster. A demon. And it somehow knew who he was.

A branch snapped behind Tally's head,  unsettlingly loud. Tally turned around so quickly that he practically gave himself whiplash.

"Who are you?" the boy demanded, doing his best to keep from vomiting.

The pain throbbing in his knee mixed with the intense terror that clenched every muscle in his body, he wobbled with the effort of not passing out.

"Tally!"

The voice came from behind his head. Right behind his head. It was angrier than anything he'd ever heard. Why was it so angry?

Tally slowly turned on his heel, and immediately wished he hadn't.

The thing staring at him looked right out of a child's nightmares. Its face looked like a flower, if flowers were covered in blood and teeth. Its claws were long enough to stab Tally through the heart if it felt the urge.

If he thought what he felt a minute before was fear, he was kidding himself.

It was as if all the horrors of the world had forced themselves inside of his brain, scraping away at the walls until they were raw and bloody.

He let out a quiet whimper, as the creature bared it's hideous teeth at him, looking more than ready to end his entire life. Everything he ever was, and everything he'd ever be, could be over in seconds. That thought was somehow scarier than the snarling beast in front of him.

Almost all at once, Tally regained the feeling in his legs. He turned on his heel and ran. He ran faster than he'd ever run during basketball games. Faster than he'd ever run during gym class. He ran faster than he'd ever darted down dark alleyways downtown to escape trouble.

He ran all to fast, he would quickly decide.

Because he tripped.

The last thing Tally Parker remembered before hitting the ground was the tears rolling down his cheeks.

__________