Chapter One: Season Four

Kattegat has emerged herself into early winter. The lakes are completely frozen over, the trees in the mountains and in the plains are barons. The ground is frozen and sometimes covered in ice and light snow. The animals have gone into retreat and went to sleep for the season. All while the season is changing, people scramble to put Kattegat back together from Ivar’s reign. 

During the battle, my home became severely damaged. I’m left without a roof and a wall. I’ve been staying at the Great Hall and at Hvitserk’s home until my home is fixed. I’ve been fixing it myself. Everyday I would wake bright and early, eat my breakfast, check on Hvitserk, and then go rebuild it. I’m hoping it will be rebuilt before the terrible, bitter winter comes.

Bjorn is now King of Kattegat. I’ve now seen two sons of Ragnar occupy the throne. I know Bjorn will be a good King. He has the makings of greatness in him. He has taken on a new wife, Gunhild. A beautiful and proud shield-maiden that is just as equal to Bjorn.

As I stood on top of the ladder hammering my shackles together, I looked across the fields at the busy Kattegat. People were going about their way, going to market stands, selling goods, and buying goods. Through the crowd I wanted to see one face, I wanted one face to emerge from the crowd-Ivar-he has been on my mind a lot since he left. I can’t stop thinking about him. My heart aches not knowing where he is or even if he’s alive. 

I stopped and leaned against the ladder, as my mind traveled back to when I kissed him on his cheek. My lips pressed against his warm cheek, sending intense chills down my spine. His soft, snake-like voice no longer frightens me. Instead, it makes me calm and serene. I feel alive just feeling like this, but I can’t love him. He is vicious and he has left a scare upon Kattegat’s heart. There are some things I cannot forgive him for, but he still makes me feel so weak despite it all. 

“Sigrun!” A familiar voice came. I looked down to see Hvitserk standing by the front door.

I smiled at him, “Hello, Hvitserk!” 

“Come down!” He said. He looked angry as he stood with a cup of ale in his hand, slightly leaning side to side. My smile quickly disappeared as I climbed down the ladder.

I walked over to him and gave him a tight hug. He has not been well since Thora’s death. I pulled away to see a few strings of his hair hanging. His toned skin is now losing color and his eyes were dull and bleak. 

“I have some news for you,” he said, softly to me.

“Yes?” 

“Lagertha wants to invite you to dinner tonight at The Great Hall!” He said, forcing a smile upon his face. 

“Really?” I gasped, containing my happiness. “Do you think she’ll grant me my freedom? Or-or Bjorn?” 

“They have to grant you it now, after all, you helped save Kattegat!” 

“Ivar still got away…”

“Yes, but you took down the majority of his men, by yourself…” “Who does that?”

He took his cup and pressed it to his lips. I quickly took the cup and tossed it to the side.

“Why did you do that?” He cried.

“Hvitserk, you do not look well, maybe you should lay off the drinking for a while.” 

“I’m alright,” he said, assuring me.

“Hvitserk…” I cooed, pressing my hand to his cold cheek. He began to savor my touch as a lonely tear came down his face. 

“It feels just like Thora’s.”