Chapter Three: Season Two

I sat outside of my hut as I weaved new baskets for my mother. It may have seemed to bring me peace of mind, but the truth is I’m troubled. I do not want to marry any of the sons, yet my thoughts keep going back to them. Since I came back, their eyes haunt my thoughts. How they stare at me, and how they pierce my soul. A deep part of me was taunted by their tense presence when they were around me.

A giggle came from the crowd as I looked up to see the thrall, Margaret, holding Ubbe’s hand. Just the other day she was hanging around with Hvitserk in the square and then they disappeared. Hvitserk then came back with a big smile on his face. I would hate to think what he was doing. I cannot imagine Hvitserk, as quiet as he was, being like that. 

Sigurd came up from behind Margrette and gave her a small flower. She gladly took the flower and gave Sigurd a kiss on the lips! I dropped my weaves to the ground as my heart felt a crack inside. I clutched my heart as anger vibrated off me. I wasn’t sure why I was angry; I have no interest in the boys, but somehow I wanted them to be interested in me. Growing up, they were always giving me small gifts and all their attention. 

Sigurd twiddled his fingers in Margrette’s hair and then placed it to his lips. I took my own hair in my hands and realized it is not as luscious as Margrette’s. I’m not as adventurous as her and I’m not naturally beautiful like her. I need to put black eyeliner on to enhance myself. She doesn’t need anything. Her skin shimmers and it looks fresh like milk. She is my age and she looks like a goddess and that is what the boys see. 

Ivar crawled beside me and propped himself onto his elbows. I looked down as he made himself comfortable in the mud. 

“She is pretty…” Ivar said. I nodded painfully in agreement.

“We thought you were the prettiest girl in Kattegat, but-” his voice cracked, “it seems they have forgotten about you.”

I sat with my head down, pulling my lips behind my teeth and holding back angry tears.

“Seems so,” I said.

“I didn’t,” His hardened eyes staring up at me.

His smile mischievously curved around his face. Ivar didn’t mean his comment kindly. I went inside my home and pulled out my knives and my father’s sword. Ivar looked upon with curiosity and slight fear. I brushed past him going out of my hut and into the woods. It distrubed Ivar to see me so cold, but he made me cold.

--

I went deep into the woods, where the sun doesn’t shine, and where the trees creek from aging. It is a fearful place and some do not venture that deep into here, but I find that it helps overcome my fears. I can channel it and reverse my fear. It helps me become a better warrior. I dropped my things to the mossy ground and stretched my arms out a little bit.

I set up an obstacle course. Consisting of bullseyes and live pigeons. I got my bow and arrow ready and released the pigeons. I pinned them to the bullseye. One was right in the middle and the other was slightly up, still in the middle of the bullseye. I smiled; feeling proud of myself. I then turned my attention to my father’s sword and then began to practice with it. I then heard a wisp of air coming past my ear; a hot breath covering my neck. I turned around and saw a large buck charging at me. My blade swung across it’s neck as it dropped to the ground. Blood splattered on my face.

Suddenly! An arrow flew across my face, nearly missing the tip of my nose, and hitting the bullseye with the pigeons. I gasped, turning in the direction it came. Ubbe appeared from the forest. He looked at me menacingly. His eyes were fixated clearly on me as he approached. He held out his sword in front of us looking for a challenge. He must’ve seen me training and was impressed.