Chapter Six: Season Three

The days in Kattegat are mostly dark. Ivar has become a ruthless tyrant for sure, killing anyone who dares to defy him or doubts he is a God. It alarmed me, and I decided to spend most of my days in the woods training. Since my utter embarrassment the other night, I became more determined to become a great shield-maiden. I trained myself to take down several brutes by myself. I allowed my anger to fuel me and charge my strength within my weapons. 

I suddenly heard a crunch on the floor causing me to be alarmed. My heart beated from my chest, but I immdentally controlled the pace. I had my bow and arrow gracefully in my hands as I slowly gripped it. The crunches became closer; I stopped breathing and swiftly turned. 

“Woah!” Hvitserk cried, blocking himself with his arms. 

“Hvitserk!” I sighed out of relief, I walked over to him, and hugged him. “Do not scare me like that again!” 

Hvitserk relaxed himself and hugged me back; gripping me tightly. 

“I’m sorry!”

Hvitserk has become more than just my friend. I consider him more of a brother now than ever. He is my light that glitters in the darkness. And Thora has become my sister. The sister I never had. The three of us were one big family. The family we needed right now. 

Hvitserk and I sat down to a little feast; eating dried meats and fruits. 

“I have some news for you!” Hvitserk said, smiling brightly. 

“Ivar is dead?” I scoffed. It is sad to say, but it is true, and I know I can say that to Hvitserk.

Hvitserk laughed, “Even better!” 

“What?” I giggled.

“I’m going to ask Thora to marry me!” 

I screamed, jumping up and onto Hvitserk, giving him a bear hug. It was the most amazing news I have heard. Hvitserk laughed with me. 

“It will be a grand celebration!” I exclaimed. I have gained a sister, permanently. 

A scream echoed in the woods making Hvitserk and I break our happy moment. We got up and rushed to the screams. We ran through the forest and stopped at a pit of white smoke. A little girl stood on the other side of it, her eyes were displaced from her sockets. Her mouth was agape open and her eyes filled with tears. She had a basket of berries that dropped to her side from what I’m guessing; shock. I jumped over the pit and pulled her to my side, causing her to stop screaming. She muffled herself in my belly and cried hysterically.

“Shh, child!” I whispered. Hvitserk inspected the ditch and within the ditch was a burnt corpse that was practically chard. Hvitserk put his hand to his mouth and then to his nose. His eyes widened in shock.

“Hvitserk?” 

He stood in shock. I leaned in slightly and saw The Wise One- dead. I gasped, pulling back and hiding my face into the little girl.

“Who could have done this?” I exclaimed. I wanted justice. 

“Who do you think?” Hvitserk growled.

No. 

I could not bring myself to believe that Ivar had killed The Seer. Hvitserk did not have a doubt in his mind. He had somewhat convinced me otherwise that it was Ivar. The Seer hardly ever leaves his hut and he is a well respected hermit. Who else would harm him and kill him so brutally? Hvitserk paced in front of me as we sat close to the Great Hall’s front door. He was insanely angry. Thora sat alongside me with her head down and hands crossed. She was distraught.