Chapter 24

I hesitated a moment and thought about who I was more willing to believe right now. Oliver, who wasn't looking too good as of now... or a stranger who seems to know a lot more about me then I ever shared. Not good options.

I slowly unclasped the necklace Oliver gave me and set it on another table nearby.

"Now," Oliver whispered, "I can come closer to you without fighting anything."

Kaleb took a few steps towards me as we were now close together.

"You asked me why I kept backing away from you. That necklace Oliver gave you... think of it kind of as magic, per say. He gave you that to keep me away from you."

"Wh-"

"But he underestimated my abilities, clearly. Because here we are." He lifted the edges of his lips ever so slightly.

"Rachel, do you remember having a rather... odd- dream, not so long ago?"

"Ye- yes." I stuttered.

"With your sister? Correct? Being tied up and she was saying something about 'it's you', am I right?"

"How do you know that..." I murmured, no longer able to think.

"That wasn't exactly a dream. More of a... premonition of sorts. And guess who was also the cause of this?"

"No..." I whispered. I could feel tears running down my face even though I hadn't even realized they were there to begin with.

"I know you don't want to believe me. I can't even imagine what is going through your mind right now, but I need you to stay with me. Now, I'll offer you one more chance. Would you like me to continue, or would you like to leave?"

"Leave? How could I possibly leave?"

"Not just from my house. Leave town. Get as far away from here as possible. Take your family and never look back. You could be safe again."

"Kaleb... I could never just leave. This is my home. How could you ask me such a thing?"

"Because. If I even begin to tell you the rest of the truth... your life is going to change. This is your last chance at a normal life, Rachel, I'm warning you."

I wiped away a tear from my cheek and finally looked up at him. "My life has been nowhere near normal for the past year. Try me," I dared.

He sighed and smirked at me. "Oh, Rachel."

"Go on," I insisted. "Make it make sense. Please" I begged.

"Okay," he huffed. "Take my hand."

"What?"

"If you want me to 'make it make sense'

then take my hand."

I hesitantly took his hand in mine. I noticed

multiple veins running through his hands and arms.

"Close your eyes."

"You know, if you're about to murder me, people know where I am."

He laughed for a moment as I closed my eyes. He placed his other hand on top of mine and I felt a wave of electricity course through me.

"You feel that?" He asked.

"Yes, but how-"

"And when you're with Oliver. You feel

something similar, but not quite the same. Correct?"

My eyes shot open. How could he know that when I fully didn't even realize it?

"But... I thought..."