Chapter 11: A Very Good Thing

The house was quiet when we got back home from the beach. We were quiet too. Quiet like a writer about to begin the chapter they've spent the whole book leading up to. All that work and strife and pining and now... now there was just quiet.

Ava felt it too. I could tell by how she drifted away from, holding her distance firmly. She set her bag down on the counter and looked at me. Then bit the inside of her mouth to tame the smile that pulled at the corners of her mouth.

"What do we do now?"

I had asked her this before. A summer night when our parents went out drinking wine and spirits for the evening, leaving us to our own devices. Ava had smiled at me with all the mischief in the world.

"Whatever we want I guess."

Ava shifted her weight and grinned at me, "And what do you want to do?" Her hands gripped the counter behind her and her hips jutted out towards me.

I shrugged, smiling boyishly as I sauntered over to her. "I don't know. I can't think of anything." As I arrived in front of her, she leaned back further on the counter, pressing her hips into me while keeping her lips away. Tease.

I ran my hand along her stomach, touching my fingers to the skin her shirt had left exposed. I could feel her breathing. It was quick and unsteady. I liked that. She nodded, watching my hand, "Yeah, me neither."

I nodded, laughing softly and moved my hand lower. She caught it before it got very far. "They'll be home soon," she said softly.

I didn't stop. I kissed her ear, moving down her jaw. "It's Europe Ava. They won't care," I whispered.

She laughed, which made me do the same. I pulled away and looked at her, tucking her hair behind her ears so I could see her better. She leaned forward, pressing her face into mine, the ridge of her nose against my own. This was my favorite place to be. Of all the places in the world, this was the best.

Through the open kitchen window we heard the ghastly sound of a car pulling into the driveway. I groaned and rolled away from her. I faced the counter, not wanting my parents to see me... excited. I could hear Ava snickering beside me.

"Are you hiding?"

"Shut up." I smiled, eyes closed.

She leaned in close to me. "I thought it was Europe? I thought they wouldn't care?" She reached over, running her hand along my chest.

"Stop it," I swatted her away, laughing uneasily.

She slipped around behind me, hands on my hips, as she whispered, "Ovviamente dottore."

I turned on her, but she slipped away, smirking as my family entered the door. I glared at her hungrily, "Cosa ti avevo detto? Cosa ti avevo detto?" She did not care what I had told her.

She shrugged coyly and approached Nonna, giving her a kiss on the cheek. I shook my head and turned back to the counter. My mother looked from Ava to me. "What's happening? Are you two fighting again?"

Ava chuckled and shook her head. "No, we are not fighting," I answered.

"Good," she said before pausing and staring at me, still facing away from them. "Luca what are you doing?"

"I am... I am looking out the window."

"At what?" Ava asked. I despised her.

"Just, just the... world. We um- we ought to do it more often I think."

There was silence in the room. I winced.

"That's insightful, Luc." Ava piped up finally. I would not forgive her. This was her doing.