Twenty-three

Two truths and a lie: I'm watching Supernatural right now, I've watched the umbrella academy series two times through, and today on the first day of school, I didn't want to commit arson.

The woman was smart, Emery would give her that. Never once was she fighting both of them at once. She would wait, plan out her next moves and then deliver a fatal blow to Five, ridding him of her worry for the next few seconds while she turned on Emery and repeated the process with him until Five got back on his feet and she moved to fight him.

Twice, Emery had knocked the wind out of Lila so that she had to take a second to regain her breath but other than that, he was defending. He was sure he'd be donning a chest of bruises when he woke tomorrow- if he woke tomorrow.

He had gotten his own hits in, resorting to hand-to-hand fighting and then pulling the light when his skills faltered, never a match for the trained girl to begin with.

He practiced in alleys, she practiced in the same training grounds that raised several commission assassins.

He summoned a blade, dragged from the light seeping through the bullet holes decorating the walls and Lila copied him as well, conjuring up five daggers in place of his one sword. She threw and Emery ducked out of the way, listening to the blade whiz through the air,  dissipating before it could embed itself in the wall behind. She threw two more, each Emery deflected either by moving out of the way or pushing it aside with his sword if he couldn't move fast enough. He circled around the girl, sword leveled in front of him as he kept one eye on the girl and one eye on Five who was creeping up behind her.

"You're holding back on me." Lila said when Emery dodged another dagger.

"What makes you say that?" Emery said, panting.

"You're better than this."

"You're right." Emery said, flicking his wrist and exchanging his sword for three daggers.

"Three?" Lila cocked her head, sly smile on her face as she advanced on Emery.

"I only need three." Emery said, letting one fly. The girl ducked out of the way, an easy sidestep. She turned to Emery, mocking smile on her lips.

"You wasted one." She tutted. "I thought you only needed three." She said.

"I didn't say what I needed them for." Emery said. And he hadn't. Two for distraction and one- well, Lila figured this out pretty quick. He let the second one fly and it skimmed her shoulder, barely knocking her jacket but she whipped her head to the side to watch it fly past, and then Five was on her, creeping up on the side she was not focussed on and snaking an arm across her neck. He pulled and then Lila was spinning, teleporting out of Five's grip and drooling into a fighting stance.

The two engaged in fight, teleporting this way and that, exchanging a few blows when they weren't moving. Emery let his final dagger fly and watched as it buried itself in Lila's shoulder, dissipating before she had the chance to reach behind her and rip it out. She gasped but paid him little more attention needed than the time it took to direct a glare his way and then she was thrusting a hand out, pushing Emery backward by an invisible force that held him against the wall, crushing his lungs until he was grasping for a breath.

This caught Five off guard and soon, he was on the floor, Lila sweeping him down with a kick of her legs and then placing her foot against his windpipe, she pressed down just hard enough to keep him alive but not light enough to allow easy breaths to his lungs.

"Doesn't feel so good does it." Lila said.

"Eat shit and die." Five wheezed out.

Emery pushed back, realizing that Lila was just using what he could do against him. Fighting fire with fire. He could manipulate this. It was just light.