Nine

What's one thing that can instantly make your day better?

It was a cornfield that Five had teleported them to. A car lay discarded in a pit and a section of the hedges were disturbed from their natural growth; moved to make way for someone pushing through.

A simple look to Five and then both boys were moving forward through the break and into the field where suddenly, they weren't the tallest things around. Blindly, they navigated forwards, pushing aside stalks and looking around for alternate paths Vanya might have taken until they stumbled across a clearing. It was large and circular and stretched several feet around them wherever they turned. The sun now high in the sky shone down on them, mocking as they looked for their path.

Emery scanned the area until he found another break on the opposite side. He pointed to it to show Five and then he was moving forward again, through the clearing and back into the shade provided by the stalks.

A figure moved and Emery gave one final sweep of his hands to reveal a girl scrambling back as she was found.

"Hi, Vanya." Five smiled.

The girl looked up. "Emery?" She asked, looking at him and then Five. "Who are you?" She asked the boy.

"I'm your brother." Five said. Emery had told him how Vanya lost her memory upon landing in Dallas but the pain was still fresh in his eyes when she looked at him, unrecognizing.

"I have a brother?"

"Look, you can either stay here and wait for the IKEA mafia to come back to kill you, or you can come with us." Five said, pulling away and retreating back to the clearing.

"Wh- why are they trying to kill me?" Vanya called out after him.

"'Cause you're not supposed to be here, Vanya."

"None of us are." Emery added.

"In Dallas?" She questioned.

"No. Here, in 1963."

"Holy shit." Vanya said when she followed the boys into the clearing.

"Pretty wild right?" Five said continuing forward. "It's good to see your powers are still intact. Let's go."

"What's going on?" Vanya asked, chasing after them as they refereed themselves in the tall fields, pushing towards the area they had parked in.

"Not now." Emery said. "Let's get you somewhere safer before we tell you."

"I know a coffee shop close by. We'll head there."

"Not exactly inconspicuous," Emery muttered.

"Well with the things we're going to tell Vanya, no one is really going to stop because they think we're telling the truth."

"No, you're right. They'll stop because they think we should take Diego's place in the nuthouse." Emery bit back.

"Who's Diego?" Vanya asked.

"Not the time." Emery replied simply once again as they pushed through the final area and into the open where the car was calmly waiting for them.

Five took the wheel with Vanya behind and Emery in the passenger's seat.

"Why didn't you take the front?" Emery asked when they were all piled in. He'd seen the girl look at it before she passed it all together in favor of getting in the back.

"Something just tells me you two like to sit together." She shrugged and then proceeded to look out the window.

Emery frowned but couldn't really come up with any words in response so he settled for keeping his mouth shut and watching as Five hit the gas and pushed them forward steadily onto the road.