Chapter 36 - Hornagold

Jacob jumped back down to the ground looking out to the road that approached the cottage.

"What is it?" Lillianna asked stepping up to his side and following his gaze. 

"Council flags," he said. Upon their approach, Lillianna narrowed her eyes at a certain man.

"Hornagold," she whispered a soft sense of dread sinking into her. 

"Maisie got inside. Take blue," Lillianna ordered her quickly.

"Why?" Maisie asked following their gaze.

"Maisie now," Jacob added. She did as she was told picking up Blue and rushing into the house only to peek through the windows. Lillianna took the small knife Jacob pressed into her hand and tucked it into the back of her pants. 

The horses skidded to a stop casting the two in dust. 

"Oh sorry. I didn't see you there, you blend so well with all the dirt and mud," Hornagold gave them both a dirty look as he chuckled amused at his own joke.

"Hornagold. Always a pleasure," Lillianna said with a sarcastic smile.

"I wish I could say the same. By god woman. Look how far you've fallen," he mused with a disappointed shake of his head.

"We could say the same for you, you only recently were given the admiral title back correct?" Jacob asked with a smirk of his own. 

"Your highness," Lia rode up cutting the tension.

"Lia, oh it's good to see you," Lillianna walked forward hugging her old friend.

"It's good to see you as well," Lia hugged her back before pulling back and straightening out her uniform. 

"So what do we owe this pleasant visit to?" Lillianna asked casting her eyes briefly to Hornagold who only glared. 

"It's the Aladalv," Lia said simply.

"The Aladalv? What ever could have happened?" Lillianna asked with a slightly chuckle. The Aladalv was the kingdom's greatest ally's.

"Something has happened. We don't have all the detail's but we believe it's to do with the king naming a new heir. The tension has called into question the treaty between our two kingdoms. When we sent diplomats to sort it out they came back with a message," Lia explained slightly hesitant her words falling away. 

"Since you stupidly married a hunter they were pretty upset. After all I share an ancestor with them," Horngold said. Lillianna pressed her lips together.

"I though we sorted that out," Lillianna said.

"So did I but someone has seemed to press the matter," Lia added casting an obvious blame to Hornagold who only smirked. 

"What was the message?" Lillianna asked.

"They demand your presence. They still recognize your rule. They still see you as queen so they will only discuss terms with you," Lia explained. 

"Were they angry?" Lillianna asked as she crossed her arms her mind whirling.

"Well they certainly were pleased," Lia said. 

"So we have no choice," Lillianna pointed out. 

"Exactly," Lia nodded.

"Love?" Jacob asked.

"I'll leave you to discuss. The ship will be leaving tomorrow," Lia said remounting. "I'll be in the village if you want to talk more," she said before taking off. Horngold stayed back slightly looking over the cottage with disgust.

"Ha," he let out a huff of amusement before racing off. 

"Care to explain?' Jacob asked softly seeing his wife troubled gaze.

"Hornagold is from a branch of the Aladalv royal family. My marriage to him was a term of the ongoing treaty. I thought we sorted it out but if the kings named an hire then bold people will be starting to step up, take risks. Some don't like the treaty," Lillianna crossed her arm's over her chest watching Hornagold leave. 

"And that means?" Jacob asked again.

"That means I need to go to Aladalv and sort all this out before we lose the treaty or worse before a war starts," Lillianna said.

"Well then it's a good thing the ships fixed," Jacob said with a simple shrug.

"Are you sure? Winters coming round. Its gonna be cold," Lillianna said.

"Don't you remember our vows, through ruff and calm seas we face everything together," Jacob gave her a reassuring smile pulling her into his side.

"Do you think the crew will be ok with it?" Lillianna asked.

"Oh they'll be fine. They love Aladalv," he said with a dismissive wave. And he was right. When the crew got news of their next destination they all cheered. 

They were busy loading the ship when Lillianna paused briefly. The general had a ship of her own and Hornagold insisted that he come along. A huge ship slightly smaller than the Imperator. Looking over the two ships the Inevitable looked small in comparison. 

"We've got some good wind at our backs. If it keeps up it will be a short trip," Jacob said stepping up to her side.

"Huh," Lillianna responded absentmindedly her eyes falling on Hornagold as he walked up his ship shouting orders at poor sailors.

"Not having regrets are we?" Jacob asked half teasingly seeing who her gaze was focused on. 

"What? No of course not," This snapped her out of her thoughts. Seeing his look she sighed. "It's just this whole things seems a bit off. The Aladalv were fine with the engagement being broken," Lillianna murmured. 

"So it smell fishy?" he asked.

"I dont know. Im just tired, maybe I'm just paranoid," Lillianna shook her head dismissively giving Jacob a kiss on the cheek before walking off to continued her tasks. Leaving Jacob to share a glare with hornagold.