16- It's just the beginning

Thea's P.O.V.

Today was my day off but Captain Gray called me in after he talked with Briggs about Miguel calling me.

I dropped Isabella off at her home and immediately headed into the office.

"Hey." Gray said as I walked into the office, handing me a cup of coffee. "We're leaving. Do you have your gun?"

I turned with him, following him out. "Yes. Where are we going?"

"Good, I'll tell you on the way. You're riding with me."

I got into the passenger side of his car and looked over at him. "Did something else happen?"

He pulled out of his parking spot and took off. "We're meeting with Derek Rynes to talk about Miguel. I'm not comfortable talking about it over the phone. You haven't gotten any other calls from him?"

"No."

About twenty minutes later, Gray pulled up to the warehouse where I met Aaron at about a month ago. I wasn't excited to be back here, mentally groaning as I got out of the car and followed Gray inside.

There were a lot more men here than the last time I was here, all nodding as we walked up to Derek when my eyes locked with Aarons... The man who made my heart beat triple any time he was around me.

He stared back at me with the slightest hint of a smile.

I quickly looked back at Derek once we got to where they were standing. I had a job to do and I couldn't let whatever the hell this thing between Aaron and I was, interfere with my job.

"What can we do for you, Captain?" Derek asked in an authoritative voice. He looked over at me with a warm smile and nodded. "Thea."

I smiled and nodded back in respect.

"I need to up Thea's protection detail. I appreciate all of your help already but I need to go a different route now."

I turned my head towards Gray, "Cap?"

"Thea, this isn't up for discussion, unless you want to go back to homicide full time or sit behind a desk until this is over." Gray snapped.

I scoffed and looked back at Derek.

"Did something happen?" Aaron asked as he stepped forward.

"Yes, Miguel contacted her last night." Gray motioned for me to tell them.

I let out a breath and looked over at Aaron. "Last night at the charity event around 1am, I received a phone call from an unknown number."

Aaron narrowed his eyes, probably wondering why I didn't mention this to him last night.

"He called her private phone number, Aaron." Gray interrupted. "Miguel is back in town. A traffic camera picked him up just outside the city around that time. He threw his burner out the window, the same one he used to call her."

"What did he say to you?" Aaron asked, not once taking his eyes off mine. A look of concern etched on his face.

"He told me to stay out of his way so he can finish what he came here to do."

"Anything else?" Aaron walked closer.

"Well, I obviously told him I couldn't do that and then he asked me to help him."

"With what?" Silas asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I have no idea. I told him the only way I'd help him was by putting him inside the squad car that was taking him to prison."

Aaron chuckled, shaking his head. "You and that mouth."

"I'm not going to let a prick scare me, Aaron."