14- Settling an argument

Thea's P.O.V.

"Thank you. You're looking sharp, as always."

I took a drink as he sat down beside me, smiling like he always does at me. "That's nice of you to say. Are you enjoying your evening?"

"I am. Why are you guys here?"

"Well, I wouldn't have missed this. I needed to make a contribution to the charity."

I looked at him skeptically, not sure if he was being honest with me or not.

"Plus, a little birdie told me you would be here tonight and I didn't want to miss the opportunity to see you again. I didn't know you played golf, I watched you a little bit this morning... you're good."

"Like I said before Aaron, there's a lot of things you don't know about me."

"Well then, let's fix that. Have dinner with me."

"I don't think that's a very good idea."

"Why not?"

"Because." There were so many reasons why that was a terrible idea.

"Because is not an answer." He wrapped his arm around the back of my chair, slid into me closer and whispered, "I think it's because you feel a little something for me and you're scared?"

I chuckled, "Well you're wrong."

"I don't think I am. I meant what I said to you, I can't stop thinking about you."

"Aaron, please." I looked away and took another sip of my drink.

"So, about this dinner."

I turned towards him again. "How about a dance instead? We can talk out on the dance floor?"

That probably wasn't a good idea either because anytime he touched me in any way, my body responded.

He chuckled before taking a small drink. "I told you when we first met, I don't dance."

"Well that is the only option here. Take it or leave it."

He took another drink and shook his head.

I stood up, "It was nice seeing you again Mr. Hale, enjoy your evening."

He placed his hand on my side, stopping me. He brought me in close, leaning in he whispered against my ear. "So difficult."

My side tingled at his touch and his warm breath sent chills over my entire body. My right hand gripped his jacket as I struggled to take my next breath.

I couldn't stay here with Aaron, not like this. I let go, composing myself as I walked away, not saying another word to Aaron.

The night was slowly winding down. Aaron didn't try talking to me the rest of the night but I could still feel his eyes on me, which I was purposely trying to ignore.

Isabella went up to her room for the night about an hour ago. I was going to go with her but she had insisted that I stay and finish talking with a few people we had met.

I was still talking with them when I felt my phone vibrate.

I quickly looked down to see an unknown number. I ignored it a few times but it started ringing again.

"I'm so sorry. I have to take this, it could be work."

"No problem. We were just going to head out. It was nice meeting you."

"It was very nice meeting you too. Drive safe." I shook their hands before heading towards a quieter area and answered the call...

"Hello?"