Chapter Twenty Five

Past words of pain

Bondita had been working like a robot all day long. The word father had shaken up her demeanour completely.

It brought the ugly reminder of the past that she didn't want to recall.

She could still vividly remember the smiling face of her father, the charm he used to exude and the way he used to give that little Bondita everything she adamantly asked for.

It brought her the reminder of her home in Krishna Nagar, the home that had been snatched away from her simply because she didn't have her father beside her.

Because, she was born as a girl and not as an heir.

Bondita could recall her father, in his last days sending away letters and making calls to some people furiously. He was in so much hurry those days.

She could recall her parent's hushed voices planning for their new residence. That child in her couldn't understand their desire to leave but now she could understand that it was due to her thakumaa, Kalindi Das.

She tried to forget those memories desperately. She had been able to completely omit them from her mind. Until that fateful day of August.

At that time, Anirudh had left for a case in Rangpur. The death of Manorama wasn't that old yet. It was still fresh in their minds.

Bondita was just coming to terms with the renewed attention of Anirudh. Anirudh was trying to create a new space for him in her life. He wanted to give her the choice of a future of her own, with or without him.

But the selfish side of him wanted him to make an unshakeable place in her heart that could never be broken.

He was just trying to come to terms with his affection for her. The feelings that were devoid of the lust that his Kaka's herb would create. The love that would slowly be expressed to her after her 16th. (Don't bash me but 16 was not considered as young then as it is now).

The type of love that would give her a chance to experience life fully.

"Don't let Batuk eat your tiffin hmm. And don't skip your studies in favour of playing in the aam began (Mango orchard) with him and koyeli."-Anirudh advised a thirteen-year-old Bondita and she nodded hesitantly.

As the teen had not been able to come to terms with the new and attentive, Anirudh Roy Chowdhury.

Anirudh smiled at her hesitation. On one side, he was happy that she was now playing more and more with Batuk and Koyeli and finding excuses to be cheerful on a gloomy day but he didn't want her to skip her studies for that.

"Think ache. Ami cheshta korbo. Kintu Kotha dite parlam na. Amar Bagan e khelte valo lage. (All right. I will try but I can not promise you. I love playing in the orchard.)"-Anirudh smiled at her words as she shared her heart's true wishes with him. And didn't give him a fake promise.

"Ami ashi Bondita. Nijer kheyal rekho Sona moni."-she nodded in agreement but didn't know how to answer his endearment.

Anirudh was about to step out but suddenly decided to look back at his little Bondita and crouched down to her level. Maintaining his eye contact with the teen.

Bondita for a second stiffened as Anirudh very gently hugged her but she gingerly hugged him back.

Anirudh was cursing himself for his impulsive decision but didn't know how to stop himself from this hug.

Bondita chanted "Dugga Dugga"-at his retreating back and went to complete her homework.

The next day, she needed a geography map for her homework as she would need to pinpoint some longitudes.