Chapter Twenty Two

Warning: Fights and a little curse words have been used. Read at your own discretion

Hurling Accusations

"Are you alright, Bondita?"-Anirudh asked her, seeing her so engrossed in her thoughts that, she had even forgot about switching off the light bulb before coming to sleep in their bed.

"Uh-huh, what Patibabu?"-she asked him, still not sure what he was talking about.

"You always sleep after switching off the lights. But, today you seem worried and stressed. Has anything happened?"-he fired off his questions one by one, startling Bondita.

She realized with a pang that he doesn't remember the day or it's significance at all.

Tomorrow was 3rd of Boishakh or 18th of April, the day he had married Manorama. It was the day, he had made hell for her. The day that became the reason of her nightmares.

This day was like the reincarnation of the devil for her.

She could never forget the taunts and accusations that was hurled on her.

From forcing them to consummate, to making her head wrap in all those nonsense about giving Sukh (Happiness) to her husband.

A child was expected to take care of another child back then. It seemed horrific to Bondita but even more horrific was the betrayals that she had received from her closed ones.

From kakasasur ji organising that suhagraat (First Night), to Bondita getting that blasted tattoo. Everything was a nightmare for her.

She shuddered to think about the consequences of thakur being successful in his vile plans.

Would her kakasasur ji accept her then in the case of her being touched by another?

It was so funny, men had the permission to do whatever they wanted!

A man could get married again after his beloved wife's demise and would be praised for moving on in his life but if a woman dared to do the same, then she would be killed.

"Kakasasur ji's rule for Patibabu and me are quite different. Would he accept Manorama, if Patibabu married her with his permission? Of course, he would probably arrange their suhagraat himself."-she thought to herself bitterly as bile rose to her throat.

"Bondita."-Anirudh's slight jerking made her come back on earth and she composed herself again.

"It's nothing. My exams are approaching na. That's why, I am a little tensed."-she lied through her teeth but this time, Anirudh didn't buy it.

He could clearly see that, she was very upset about something but wasn't opening up to him.

He for the life of him couldn't understand her reason to do so but kept himself quiet as he didn't want to agitate her further.

"Goodnight."-she told him as quietly as she could and slept. Showing her back towards him.

Anirudh noted sadly that, she didn't once address him as Patibabu tonight.

The next morning was chaotic to say the least.

Batuk had a early morning revision class, so Bondita and he left an hour before their regular time.

Anirudh had woken up quite late today. So, he had missed them completely and it made him quite grouchy.

"Kaka, where is Bondita and Batuk?"-he asked the orthodox zamindar as his ray of sunshine wasn't seen by him, since the morning.

He felt that his day would become worse if he didn't have a glimpse of her cherubic face.

"Batuk had a extra class due to his failing grade. Bahu simply left with him."-Trilochon replied to Anirudh quite happy at seeing his nephew looking for his wife.