Chapter 48 | Conflict

Start from the beginning

When Vandor had stormed into the West Wing to berate the Princess, Balthazar knew that the General had acted out of concern for his King. But the harsh words of reprimand had an effect on the Princess that Balthazar could not fully classify as good.

While Iris had thrown herself back into studies and training, she lacked the passion she had displayed previously. It was as though she were merely fulfilling a duty – a duty that brought her no enjoyment and only served as a burden. Balthazar sighed. Death certainly changed a person – that much was inevitable – and he knew that the passing of her guardian was not the only thing weighing heavily on the Princess's mind. But the old lycan couldn't help but feel that Prince Arlo would be upset to see his previously feisty charge becoming so apathetic.

Clearly, it was a change that had been troubling Darius also- hence the plan to provoke the Princess.

"I know that Gabriel is in attendance as my representative," Iris cut in, "it makes no sense to send a representative when I am willing to attend myself."

"This has less to do with you, and more to do with experience on battle-field," Balthazar said calmly.

"And how," Iris replied icily, "am I supposed to gain experience if he continues to exclude me?"

The look she gave the older lycan was enough to make him tut slightly, although at the same time, the constant worry that had been plaguing him for the last few weeks nagged ceaselessly at his mind.

"His Majesty is not excluding you-

"Then what would you call it exactly?" Iris snapped. "He hasn't let me attend any of the meetings since I told them about Arlo's death. Darius won't tell me anything about the war, and Gabriel won't speak to me about what happens in the council room – he says that he will handle it on my behalf, but I never asked him to! Why can't I go there myself? Does he think I will burden them again? I can follow orders!"

"Oh really?" Balthazar continued to poke at her weak spots mercilessly. "Then what would you call this outburst exactly?"

Iris ground her teeth together, at a loss for words.

"Fine," she said with forced politeness. "Excuse me for now, I will go and make us more coffee."

Her face was flushed with anger as she left, and Balthazar felt a small stab of guilt. He sighed and gave in, inwardly apologising to his King for not holding out longer. "Wait," he called her back from the door, "wait."

Iris's expression was sullen as she reluctantly turned around. Balthazar could not help the fondness that rose in his heart at the sight. So desperate to be acknowledged, and yet ... she is still just a child. Balthazar had no doubt that she would go and join the council meeting, only to say something foolish. The council would be merciless. And Darius would not defend her.

She needs to stand on her own, if she is ever to win them over, Darius had said. She needs to convince them of her competence, on her own.

Balthazar hadn't particularly liked the sound of that. Iris didn't need to convince the council of anything, as far as Balthazar was concerned – they were Darius's council, not the Princess's. But he saw Darius's point. If she was to gather her own council one day, to establish her own pack, then the experience would be valuable.

Still ... something about it unsettled him.

He glanced at the clock in the corner. "If you are going to fetch us coffee now, remember that the kitchens are busy at this time. The war meeting today breaks at noon for lunch and continues at half past." The old lycan snorted as her expression brightened immediately. "If you want to be taken seriously, you would do well to wipe that look off your face," he groused, "and next time you give me that attitude don't expect to be allowed back into my library."